Problems with creating feature class from xy table

02-19-2016 03:03 PM
ChrisM
by
New Contributor III

I can't recall ever having trouble creating feature classes from xy tables. Usually, I have a table in excel and I save it as either csv or txt and follow the steps in ArcCatalog. I have a bunch of x,y,z data points I recently converted from an arbitrary grid to UTM. Looks fine in some programs like Global Mapper, but I'm having a hell of a time in ArcGIS/Catalog. When it works, only about 4 points show up (when there are almost 2000). Also, most of the time arccatalog is not reading the z value and giving me this option in the dropdown. Sometimes it does and then when I try again it doesnt. I checked the properties and the z values are set either as text or long integer, where as x and y as double. I can't seem to change the data types, though. I basically just want a shapefile with points with the x, y, and z data. Any suggestions? I've tried formatting cells in excel to numbers before saving as a csv or txt with no change. However, whenever I do try to open the file as an excel worksheet rather than the csv or txt I get an error saying something like, can't connect with data base, etc.

Suggestions? I've never encountered this issue before.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

There is obviously something odd about the numbers in the file. And are not being interpreted properly when importing the table.

Why not try using the access text importer instead. Use ArcCatalog to create a personal goedb (Access mdb).

Then close AC, and open the mdb using access, then import. There you can specify the field types, headers etc.

Once you have your table in access, do the usual, create the feature class. Don't forget to specify the coordinate system correctly.

ChrisM
by
New Contributor III

What ended up working was similar, though I did not need to fool with access. I created a personal geodatabase and imported the table. Once there I was able to change the data types for the z data column to double like the x and y data. Then I was able to create the feature class from xyz data no problem. I still have no clue what was wrong with the original table, though.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Is it possible for you to share come of the records (more than 4, since the first 4 work)?  It may be you have an extra comma in the .csv, or a missing value or some other value that it can not deal with.

Are use using Make XY Event Layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  once the table is in ArcMap to get the point to show? Remember to set the coordinate/reference system for the imported coordinates, and save it to a shape or feature class to make it "permanent".

ChrisM
by
New Contributor III

I was just using the create feature class from xy table in AC. I tried out your second option and, again, the z data do not appear (i.e., it just gives me x and y in the drop down despite the fact there is a column of z data). That said, however, all the points show up. But since I want to create a TIN, it doesn't help much if it isn't reading the elevation data as elevation data.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Create TIN—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop means you can use the z field should you have the 3D analyst which you apparently do, and you don't actually need a 3D point input file

0 Kudos