Select to view content in your preferred language

Problems Running the Upgrade Geodatabase Tool

11-28-2012 07:02 AM
ElizabethB
Deactivated User
Hello All-
We are upgrading our SDE to version 10.1, & I am having issues with error messages while running the Update Geodatabase Tool. Here's what we've done so far:  Our IT person installed ArcSDE (10.1) on our new server (windows 7, SQL 2008 R2).  We backed up the 9.3.1 db & restored it on the new server (setting compatibility to SQL server 2008 (100) after restoring).  I created our two user logins (sde & gisadmin) & resynched them using the stored procedure SP_Change_Users_login.

I went back to my machine, added a direct connection to the new gis server (actually added two, one for sde & one for gisadmin).  Now when I open ArcCatalog & try to run the Update Geodatabase tool, several issues arise:

If I run the tool under either login (our original db was created w/o any documentation but I believe sde is the owner), I get 3 error messages: "Could not pause the database." "Cannot upgrade because there are other active connections" (& then it lists the other connection - more about that in a bit). Also, "User does not have required privileges to upgrade - user must be dbo to upgrade a geodatabase."

Initially I tried it using our sde user, then I disconnected from the gdb & connected as gisadmin user & tried running the tool under our gisadmin connection. That's when the error message will say "..Other active connections" & it returns the sde user like that one is still connected. If I reboot my computer & run it I do not get the 'other active connections' error but I do get the unable to pause db & insufficient privileges errors.

My questions are: why is this happening? Why do I have to reboot in order to make the tool realize there are no other connections? Do I need to add other logins - sa or dbo, for example, & then resync them?  Do I need to stop the sde service before running the tool? (that one doesn't make sense but I do get that error about unable to pause the database).
Am more than a bit lost at this point.

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Were there active connections when you made the 9.3.1 backup?  It might
be enough to truncate the sde_process_information table, but you may have
outstanding locks as well.

You should not (and cannot) run the 10.1 service with a 9.3.1 database.

You cannot re-sync sa and dbo, because they *have* to have "id" value "1"
(same in every instance).

You should probably start an incident with Tech Support, so they can help you
though this.

- V
0 Kudos
ElizabethB
Deactivated User
I verified that everyone was out of ArcGIS before making the backup.  Thanks for the heads up about sa & dbo not needing to be sync'd.
I don't understand why, after restoring the backup to sql 2008r2 on the new server, I am able to connect & see our data in ArcMap. So, essentially, that is a 9.3.1 db sitting in a 10.1 sde & viewed in ArcMap 10.1. That's puzzling, I thought nothing would be 'readable' until the database was upgraded?
Is there some table I can look at to see outstanding locks? When I view it in ArcCatalog through the Administer Geodatabase module there aren't any locks visible.

Will get w/my IT folks & notify Tech Support.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Direct Connect to 9.3.1 from 10.1 *is* supported (that's the only way to upgrade the
instance, in fact, to Direct Connect as 'sde' or 'dbo' to an otherwise quiet instance).

Do you really have a running application server?  You shouldn't, and that would certianly
prevent upgrade.

- V
0 Kudos