Select to view content in your preferred language

Problems Projecting a Raster Grid

10-21-2010 06:10 PM
MichaelBrady
Emerging Contributor
Hi,

I attempted to find a thread that already exists for this problem, but I could not find one. I would really appreciate some guidance with this.

I am having trouble projecting a raster grid. When I try to load the file, I get a message saying "error, inconsistent extent.." Also, when I try to transform the projection it fails with a general 999999 message, with no useful information.

I defined the projection as: North American Datum of 1983. Then attempted to transform the projection to: NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_18N. The process fails and I get the inconsistent extent message.

Extent information from the layer property source table is as follows:

Top: 2584425
Left: 1605495
Right: 1932525
Bottom: 2123805

Here is the spatial ref information from the metadata:

Spatial_Reference_Information:
Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:
Planar:
Map_Projection:
Map_Projection_Name: Albers Conical Equal Area
Albers_Conical_Equal_Area:
Standard_Parallel: 29.500000
Standard_Parallel: 45.500000
Longitude_of_Central_Meridian: -96.000000
Latitude_of_Projection_Origin: 23.000000
False_Easting: 0.000000
False_Northing: 0.000000
Planar_Coordinate_Information:
Planar_Coordinate_Encoding_Method: row and column
Coordinate_Representation:
Abscissa_Resolution: 30.000000
Ordinate_Resolution: 30.000000
Planar_Distance_Units: meters
Geodetic_Model:
Horizontal_Datum_Name: North American Datum of 1983
Ellipsoid_Name: Geodetic Reference System 80
Semi-major_Axis: 6378137.000000
Denominator_of_Flattening_Ratio: 298.257222

What is going wrong here?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

I attempted to find a thread that already exists for this problem, but I could not find one. I would really appreciate some guidance with this.

I am having trouble projecting a raster grid. When I try to load the file, I get a message saying "error, inconsistent extent.." Also, when I try to transform the projection it fails with a general 999999 message, with no useful information.

I defined the projection as: North American Datum of 1983. Then attempted to transform the projection to: NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_18N. The process fails and I get the inconsistent extent message.

Extent information from the layer property source table is as follows:

Top: 2584425
Left: 1605495
Right: 1932525
Bottom: 2123805

Here is the spatial ref information from the metadata:

Spatial_Reference_Information:
Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:
Planar:
Map_Projection:
Map_Projection_Name: Albers Conical Equal Area
Albers_Conical_Equal_Area:
Standard_Parallel: 29.500000
Standard_Parallel: 45.500000
Longitude_of_Central_Meridian: -96.000000
Latitude_of_Projection_Origin: 23.000000
False_Easting: 0.000000
False_Northing: 0.000000
Planar_Coordinate_Information:
Planar_Coordinate_Encoding_Method: row and column
Coordinate_Representation:
Abscissa_Resolution: 30.000000
Ordinate_Resolution: 30.000000
Planar_Distance_Units: meters
Geodetic_Model:
Horizontal_Datum_Name: North American Datum of 1983
Ellipsoid_Name: Geodetic Reference System 80
Semi-major_Axis: 6378137.000000
Denominator_of_Flattening_Ratio: 298.257222

What is going wrong here?

Hi,

The metadata description looks like NAD83 Albers USGS version (in projected coordinate systems, continental, north america) except the latitude of origin parameter is missing. Based on the raster's extent, I think it is the USGS Albers because the extents place the raster around northern NJ, eastern NY up to southern VT. If the raster does not represent that part of the world, the Albers coordinate system information could be incorrect.

I'm confused by your statement that you defined the coordinate system as NAD83--the geographic coordinate system? You need to leave it as Albers (hopefully, it's correct) and then use the Project Raster to create a new raster in UTM 18N. The 'inconsistent extent' is classic if a dataset is georeferenced to a projected coordinate system, but is assigned a geographic coordinate system. "Projecting" data via the Define Projection tool or the data's property page in ArcCatalog updates the metadata only. The data values are still relative to the previous coordinate system.

Melita
0 Kudos
MichaelBrady
Emerging Contributor
Hi Melita,

Thank you for your reply. The projection information is correct (NAD83 Albers USGS version). I created a new raster in UTM 18N using the Project Raster tool. Now the data aren't aligning (screen shot attached) with another feature with the same projection information (UTM 18N). The planar distance units for the raster and feature are both meters. I've had this problem in the past, but I can't remember what the issue was. [ATTACH]3120[/ATTACH]

Why aren't the data lining up? Please let me know if you need more info.

Again, thank you.

Regards,
Mike
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Melita,

Thank you for your reply. The projection information is correct (NAD83 Albers USGS version). I created a new raster in UTM 18N using the Project Raster tool. Now the data aren't aligning (screen shot attached) with another feature with the same projection information (UTM 18N). The planar distance units for the raster and feature are both meters. I've had this problem in the past, but I can't remember what the issue was. [ATTACH]3120[/ATTACH]

Why aren't the data lining up? Please let me know if you need more info.

Again, thank you.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Does the original raster line up? If it doesn't, then we have an issue with the original raster. If it does, then we can focus on what happened when the raster was projected. How far off is it? Are you certain that the other data is in the correct location?

Melita
0 Kudos
MichaelBrady
Emerging Contributor
Hi Melita,

The original raster does not line up. It projects to the upper right of where it needs to be, about the same degree off similar to the reprojected data. I'm going to download the data again and start from scratch. Unless you have another suggestion.

Mike
0 Kudos