Problems georeferencing tiffs in arcmap 10

05-31-2011 12:02 PM
seanhealy
New Contributor
On one computer the tiffs are georeferenced correctly but when the map is opened on another computer the tiffs no longer show up and when I try and georeference them again the control points are ignored and the tiff is stretch and flipped in randon directions.  Is anyone else having these problems or do you have a solution?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
How are you saving your georeferencing transformation information; are you choosing 'Update Georeferencing' or 'Rectify'?  Also what happens when you add the raster to a new map document?

Georeferencing a raster dataset
Fundamentals for georeferencing a raster dataset
0 Kudos
seanhealy
New Contributor
I'm using "update georeferencing", when the tiffs are added to a new map document several of them will display while the rest will experience the same problem.
0 Kudos
MorganFrazier
New Contributor II
We are having a similar issue here in our office. I have been georeferencing .tiff's in ArcView and now ArcGIS for the past 10+ years and with this new udgrade to ArcGIS 10 whenever I georeference a tiff it will not stay put (doesn't matter if you select rectify or update).

Please advise how to georeference a tiff and update, rectify in this program "upgrade" to ArcGIS 10 as it is not how it used to be in ArcGIS 9.3 and the articles you attached to the previous responce do not help with this issue.

Thank You,
Morgan Frazier
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
I would first off recommend installing service pack 2 for ArcGIS 10.  It addresses some spatial reference issues.

You can see the list of fixes in the service pack here: http://downloads2.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/ArcGIS-10sp2-issues.htm

I would also suggest trying to rectify the image to a different format such as IMG to see if the issue is format specific.
0 Kudos
DavidFrith
New Contributor
I would first off recommend installing service pack 2 for ArcGIS 10.  It addresses some spatial reference issues.

You can see the list of fixes in the service pack here: http://downloads2.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/ArcGIS-10sp2-issues.htm

I would also suggest trying to rectify the image to a different format such as IMG to see if the issue is format specific.

I've been having issues as well, but for me I don't seem to be able to get the georeferencing tool to work.  It just stays greyed out.
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
I've been having issues as well, but for me I don't seem to be able to get the georeferencing tool to work. It just stays greyed out.

You might check out these blogs on georeferencing:

In ArcGIS 10, raster data in TIFF format may be shifted or in the wrong geographic location
Having problems georeferencing your raster image?
0 Kudos
DavidFrith
New Contributor
You might check out these blogs on georeferencing:

In ArcGIS 10, raster data in TIFF format may be shifted or in the wrong geographic location
Having problems georeferencing your raster image?

So you can't even have a 1 or 2 degree rotation or it messes up the georeferencing, would that be accurate to say?
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
So you can't even have a 1 or 2 degree rotation or it messes up the georeferencing, would that be accurate to say?

That would be correct.  Any data frame rotation will gray out the toolbar.
0 Kudos
George_ChandeepCorea
New Contributor III
Same issue...

I have tried several other methods as well but no hurrah!

see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/34624-Automate-creating-Rectified-files-from-georeferenced-images?p...

I've logged a support request with ESRI Australia and waiting for a response.
0 Kudos