Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem writing to SDE using ArcObjects API -Error- ORA-01036: illegal variable name

05-05-2010 01:25 AM
FarooqMunir
Emerging Contributor
Hi,

We have an application that was originally written with ArcSDE 9.0, but after migration to 9.2 we are unable to write any data to SDE using ArcObjects API. I suspect these problems arising from incompatibilities between versions of SDE. Application returns the following error:

>System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException :{"Underlying DBMS error[ORA-01036: illegal variable name/number
][SEAL.SURVEY_CENTRE]"}
>ErrorCode: -2147216072
>Helplink : esri_csGeoDatabase.hlp
>Source : esriDataSourcesGDB.SdeWorkspace.1
>StackTrace: at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IWorkspaceEdit.StopEditOpe ration()
at Nam.Components.Common.DataAccess.DataBase.StopEdit ing(Boolean SaveEdits) in E:\Users\GIM\Farooq\SEAL\CommonUtils\DataAccess\Da taBase.vb:line 96

Currently we have the following setup in the organisation:

Oracle 9.2.0
ArcSDE 9.2
ArcGIS server for .NET 9.2 SP3
ArcGIS server Web ADF Runtime 9.2 SP4
ArcIMS 9.2 SP4

I can provide more information and appreciate any help from this forum.

Regards,

Farooq
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
What version of Oracle 9i are you using?  The minimum supported release
went from 9.2.0.3 to 9.2.0.7 between 9.0sp2 and  9.2sp4.

Given Oracle's retirement of 9i and imminent retirement of 10g, you probably
want to start heading toward ArcGIS 9.3.1 and Oracle 11g soon.

- V
0 Kudos
JimSmith
Deactivated User
Hello Vince, this is off topic and a little late, but I am looking for verification on compatibility between ArcSDE server and database versions. We have a need to preserve a SQL Server Geodatabase instance at version 9.2 but we must also upgrade the ArcSDE application server to 9.3.1 (don't ask why we can't go to 10 🙂 I tried to create a service on the 9.3.1 side and connect to the 9.2 database (which sits on a separate database server). The service fails to start and logs the message

Previous SDE Server Release 9.2.0 is not compatible with the current Release 9.3.1.

The users who need this gdb must use a service, their app does not do direct connects.

Is this it, are we done and forced to remain at 9.2?

Is there another thread you can point me to?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Rather than posting off-topic, please create a new thread and refer to the older thread as necessary.

You cannot run an application server at a release which is not the same as the configured database.
If the database must be 9.2spX, then the application server release must be 9.2spX.

- V
0 Kudos