Problem with editing vertices

01-18-2013 10:04 AM
KemalCandan
New Contributor
Hello

I'm trying to change the coordinates of a polygon in ArcMap. In order to do that I tried to select the polygon's vertices and change the coordinates in the sketch properties windows. But here is the problem: I don't get any coordinates at all in the sketch properties window and when I'm trying to select the polygon, I get the error message "Select a single editable feature to modify".
There must be a flaw somewhere, but cannot understand what I did wrong and it drives me crazy. I would appreciate any help very much.

Thanks
Kemal
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Kemal,

not quite sure what you are doing, but to explicitely shift a polygon by changing the coordinates of vertices you should use Spatial Adjustment. Many options to move just the one selected polygon or selected polygons OR the whole shapefile OR any number of other shapefiles in the current editing session workspace. (as an aside this should work for Feature classes or shapefiles, but I recently noticed a bug in my system that prevents it from working on file geodatabase feature classes; probably some darn windows update effect on the FGDB engine)

The coordinates of each link are displayed in a table (activated by the pulldown list) as you create them as well as the destination coordinates.
Usually one does this graphically by connecting the links to some other spot and then hitting "adjust" after you have enough connections for the Transformation you are using (e.g. affine needs 3).

In your case I would just make preliminary links by "snapping" (i.e. set snapping to vertices in your feature) to a vertex then randomly completing the link and then go to the link table and EDIT the coordinates of the destination. Finally after completing you links hit adjust and save your edits.

Hardolph
0 Kudos
MarjorieRoswell
New Contributor
I've been having a similarly (extremely) frustrating issue. I found this page helped me to resolve the problem.
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38493

1. I went into the file manager and looked for the ed.lock and sr. lock files.
2. Some went away when I closed ArcCatalog
3. More went away when I closed ArcMap.
4. When I reopened the map, all but one of the sr.lock files were gone, and suddenly things worked as they should (after hours of trying to move a simple point!). I could tell it worked, when I clicked on the point in the edit menu, and a thin black cross appeared over the dot, instead of just the cyan-colored selection.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Kemal - Make sure the feature class has a defined coordinate system.

0 Kudos
JasonBalmut

As embarrassing as this is to admit, check your Source tab.  That error can also come up when you think that the feature class you are editing is in the same database as the other data you have in the MXD but it really isn't.  Yes, it's selectable, but when you try to do any kind of edit, or even look at it's vertices, it will return that error message along with a string of others.

0 Kudos
NICOLAPEDDIS
Occasional Contributor II

You have to choose a defined coordinate system  when you start a job or a project. Then you can modify or trasform the shp coordinate system to another with the standard toolboxes

0 Kudos