Problem with compress - Arcgis10

03-14-2012 06:46 AM
VitorFortunato
New Contributor II
I have a feature class with the name GIS_POLYGON_TEST.

Versions:
sde.default
sde.Test

After opening ArcMap and adding the FeatureClass I want to work, I'm following the steps bellow:
-> create version
-> start editing
-> add a polygon
-> reconcile and post version
-> save and stop edition
-> delete the test version
-> run compress

Table 'A' of GIS_POLYGON_TEST is not cleared.

*The dataset is versioned.

what's the problem?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have a feature class with the name GIS_POLYGON_TEST.

Versions:
sde.default
sde.Test

After opening ArcMap and adding the FeatureClass I want to work, I'm following the steps bellow:
-> create version
-> start editing
-> add a polygon
-> reconcile and post version
-> save and stop edition
-> delete the test version
-> run compress

Table 'A' of GIS_POLYGON_TEST is not cleared.

*The dataset is versioned.

what's the problem?

I'm not sure what the problem is but I'll make a suggestion on your work flow:

Create your 'edit version' first in ArcCatalog
Create a database connection to the sde instance and make the 'edit version' you default
Open ArcMap and add the 'edit version' feature class (the edit version will be the default from above)
Make your edits
Save your edits
Stop editing
Start editing
Reconcile and post your edit version to sde.default
Stop editing
Change versions to sde.default to make sure the changes you made have been posted

I don't know why you want to delete youre edit version, but that's your call.  I would do that in an ArcCatalog session though.

Depending on the permissions you have set to sde.default, you may or may not have compress priveldges.

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Vitor,

This problem is most likely users connected to the database that are causing locks.  Make sure no users are connected.  You can check this by querying the 'sde.sde_process_information' table (SQL Server)/ 'sde.process_information' table (Oracle).  Once you verify there are no users connected, try the compress and the delta tables should clear.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Good catch Jake;  I should have included that; I use sdemon...
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
VitorFortunato
New Contributor II
Thank's jborgion / JSkinn3.

Run:
E:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcSDE\ora10gdev\bin>sdemon -o kill -t all -u sde -p sde -i 5353 -s srv -N
Erro:
Underlying DBMS error, Unable to kill servers
What's the problem?

Run:
E:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcSDE\ora10gdev\bin>sdeversion -o compress -i 5353 -u sde -p sde -s srv -N
Answer:
Successfully compressed state tree.

jborgion,
I followed your suggestion but the table 'sde.A36' of GIS_POL_TESTE is not cleared.
The table continues without sde.GIS_POL_TESTE records

JSkinn3,
I'm deleting records from the table process_information (working with oracle)
delete from sde.process_information;
and also:
delete from sde.object_locks;
delete from sde.table_locks;
delete from sde.layer_locks;
delete from sde.state_locks;
commit;
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Are any of your feature classes existing in ArcGIS Server services?  The services will need to be shutdown in order to remove the locks.

Also, does the geodatabase contain any replicas?  These will need to be synchronized before the compress.
0 Kudos
VitorFortunato
New Contributor II
Are any of your feature classes existing in ArcGIS Server services?  The services will need to be shutdown in order to remove the locks.

Also, does the geodatabase contain any replicas?  These will need to be synchronized before the compress.

Jake,

You said that in order to remove the locks, the services of ArcGIS Server needed to be shutted down. This is true only for ArcGIS 10? Because I've never had to shutdown the services when using ArcGIS 9.3 or bellow.

I'll try to turn off the services before executing "sdemon -o kill ".

Thank to you all
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Hi Vitor,

At 9.3 or 10, an ArcGIS Server service that is accessing data within an SDE geodatabase will create a lock.  I'm not sure why your 'sdemon -o kill' command is not working, but stopping the services that contain SDE feature classes will remove any locks within the geodatabase. 

If you are to get the 'sdemon -o kill' command to execute successfully, you will need to restart the services after your compress to access them again.
0 Kudos