Problem converting dwg into shp

Jump to solution
07-12-2013 07:35 AM
PeterMichalak
New Contributor
Dear all,

I'm trying to convert dwg file into shp.

The dwg file contains many layers containing different information regarding constrains.
This data include text, lines and hatches (patterns)

I tried to convert it to shp simply by right clicking on it and using export to shp conversion in ArcCatalog, it doesn't work
Then I tried more sophisticated method by using Feature Class to Feature Class from ArcToolbox - still nothing
All I got was an empty output shp

I also tried to export to geodatabase but that didn't work out either (although the process itself went fine,the output geodatabase was empty as well). I though hatches were the problem so I generated a boundary in AutoCad but that still did not work. I tried to copy boundaries to separate dwg (as polygons) and then convert the file but still nothing.

Any idea why this is happening? All the layers are turned on, unfreezed and unlocked

I'm using ArcInfo 10.1 and AutoCad 2014 (both trial versions)

Please tell me why this is happening and how can I export dwg into shp

Regards,
Peter
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
Dear all,

The dwg file contains many layers containing different information regarding constrains.

I tried to convert it to shp simply by right clicking on it and using export to shp conversion in ArcCatalog, it doesn't work
Then I tried more sophisticated method by using Feature Class to Feature Class from ArcToolbox - still nothing

I also tried to export to geodatabase but that didn't work out either (although the process itself went fine,the output geodatabase was empty as well). I though hatches were the problem so I generated a boundary in AutoCad but that still did not work. I tried to copy boundaries to separate dwg (as polygons) and then convert the file but still nothing.

Any idea why this is happening? All the layers are turned on, unfreezed and unlocked

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

10.1 still doesn't support 2014. Can you try saving it to 2010 format? Hatches are not supported. Migrating CAD data to Geodatabase video.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
Dear all,

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

10.1 still doesn't support 2014. Can you try saving it to 2010 format? Hatches are not supported. Migrating CAD data to Geodatabase video.
0 Kudos
PeterMichalak
New Contributor
Thx for your answer apt42

I think I found a solution by simply saving the dwg as a 2004 version.
You can do that simply by clicking save as and then choosing (from a drop down list) an old .dwg format. Worked for me!

Cheers,
Peter
0 Kudos