Point to Raster. Failed to create raster

08-21-2011 04:14 AM
GillonDobie
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm trying to generate a raster file from a set of points. The points themselves are actually a grid, displaying land use data. Each point carries an identification number (1-17) which corresponds to a particular land use (residential, farmland etc), and XY coordinates

In order to work with this data however, I need them in a raster format. However whenever I try and convert using point to raster it comes up with ERROR 999998: Unexpected Error. Failed to execute (Point to Raster). I have tried reducing the data set (originally well over a million points!) by extracting exactly what I need (within particular communes) and also filtering it to specific land uses. However none of these have changed the error message.

From reading other similar problems I understand that this error is something to do with the operating system. However if there is ANY other way of overcoming the problem, such as converting the point data to another format etc etc, to get a raster, this would be great.

I am pretty new to ArcGIS so when 'errors' come up I have absolutely no idea how to deal with them.

Thanks
Gillon

Running ArcGIS 9.3
Windows XP (32bit virtual)
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 (64bit) 4GB RAM
0 Kudos
2 Replies
GillonDobie
New Contributor
Figured it out after looking for ages at forum pages.

All I needed to do is, when in the Output Raster Dataset field in the Point to Raster tool, state the output raster as .img (i.e. C:/My documents/ArcGIS/raster.img), rather than leaving it blank which would convert it to .GRID.

For some reason when saving as .GRID causes an error (999998) on my system and crashes ArcGIS.

Hope this helps other people that are having similar problems.
Gillon
Matias_JavierSendra
New Contributor
Figured it out after looking for ages at forum pages.

All I needed to do is, when in the Output Raster Dataset field in the Point to Raster tool, state the output raster as .img (i.e. C:/My documents/ArcGIS/raster.img), rather than leaving it blank which would convert it to .GRID.

For some reason when saving as .GRID causes an error (999998) on my system and crashes ArcGIS.

Hope this helps other people that are having similar problems.
Gillon

Thank you very much.
Now it works, i put the img extension and arcmap didnt crash anymore.
:cool:
0 Kudos