Please help - Arc GIS Question

11-30-2014 10:31 PM
desiraecole
New Contributor

Hello,

I am having serious trouble with a geodatabase assignment. The assignment requires us to go to a park, locate thrity something points by longitude and latitude, and then plot them on a map in ArcMap 10.2. However, I was sent a file to use, I believe it contains metadata as each file contains an extension like .atx, .gdbtablx, .spx, etc. When I try to connect to the folder in ArcCatalog, it doesn't even show up as visible. I've also tried connecting to the folder through ArcMap, and even dragging and dropping. How do I use this information in ArcMap?

Any suggestion is welcome, and thank you in advance!!!!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Desirae,

It appears you are trying to use a File Geodatabase.  These files should be within a folder with a .gdb extension.  Could you send a screen shot of how the data appears in Windows Explorer?

desiraecole
New Contributor

Hi Jake,

Thank you so much for your response! Here's a screenshot of the folder. There are other files that are not shown, but they all follow a similar format.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, this is a file geodatabase.  Copy the 'New File Geodatabase.gdb' to a directory, i.e. 'C:\temp'.  Then, in the Catalog window, you should see the geodatabase:

screen1.png

desiraecole
New Contributor

would it be okay if you walked me through this over the phone? I am truly having a difficult time getting my data to show up

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Tech Support will be able to.  You can call them at 888-377-4575 and log an incident.

desiraecole
New Contributor

thank you!

0 Kudos
desiraecole
New Contributor

I do have another question for you. So, is the geodatabase folder that I have ready to be used in ArcMap? Do I have to use it in ArcCatalog first? If I finally do get it to show up in ArcCatalog, then do I create feature classes and all of that? I just want to make sure that I'm not giving myself extra work. My only objective is to make a map. My professor sent me that Geodatabase file, and I am really at a lost for what to do with it.

0 Kudos
desiraecole
New Contributor

thank you so much, it worked!!!

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Don't forget to mark Sol's answer as correct!

0 Kudos