PDF Export Troubleshooting

01-10-2018 05:05 PM
KennyGomez
New Contributor II

When exporting PDFs, I am having issues with the PDFs looking the same in different PDF viewing programs.

I am selecting to Embed All Document Fonts and Convert Marker Symbols to Polygons (see attached for settings) so the PDFs can be viewed in Adobe without any issues (see attached screenshot).

However, this causes the PDFs to show some special characters and spaces as black squares in Bluebeam (see screenshot ).

Has anyone else experienced this issue and have a solution to the issue with how Bluebeam reads the PDFs so that I can get the PDFs exported from ArcMAP to look the same in all PDF viewing programs?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

since adobe created the standard, the question would be what isn't set in Bluebeam?  Is there full codepage/unicode support in the latter?

0 Kudos
KennyGomez
New Contributor II

I believe there is full codepage/unicode support. Trying to solve the issue from this end before I try Bluebeam support.

However, is this an issue that should even be occurring? We don;t have this issue with Bluebeam when Embed All Document Fonts is not selected, but that causes issues when viewing the PDFs in Adobe and other programs.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That suggests that Bluebeam doesn't have full Unicode support or font support then, since Adobe requires embedded fonts if they aren't their own.  For example, esri has a whole slew of fonts that they would need embedded in order for the pdf to view properly. (see C:\Windows\Fonts for examples ).

Perhaps Bluebeam doesn't/can't support them is a possibility.

0 Kudos
KennyGomez
New Contributor II

If that's the case, are there any settings in ArcMap that could be adjusted to accommodate both Bluebeam and Adobe?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't use the former at all, but the need to embed fonts is going to limit the use.  Their documentation or FAQ would be the place to check.