Partial match using SingleField locator

12-16-2011 09:57 AM
PhilipSmith1
New Contributor
I am fairly new to this but I have the locator almost working. I am using a custom Single field locator to find common places in our city. I am having two issues and i am looking for some sirection.

1. The first issue is that I can't figure out how to get partial matches on a word, this may be a limitation but I am hoping that there may be a way to do this. An example of what I would like to get:

User enters Cheam as the search.
Currently I get a match on Cheam Road but not Cheamview Street
I would like to get a match on both.

2. I have an alias difined as:

<alias_def>
            <alt>chilliwack</alt>
            <alt>chwk</alt>
            <alt>chiliwack</alt>
          </alias_def>

in the SingleFieldAliases section. This almost works, when I search on chwk (which is a common abreviation of Chilliwack) I get 127 matches. When I search Chilliwack, I get 128 matches. The match that fails is always the same (Chilliwack Central Road). I also get a similar result using st and street (one street fails to match). I can't see anything parculiar with either of the entities taht fail the substitution.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Phil
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PhilipSmith1
New Contributor
I have done some more digging around and I found out that only one substitution is being made for each entry in the table.

For example:

For Cemetary Road, there are two possible substitutions in the locator style, on eofr cemetary and one for Road. In this case the cemetary substitution works but not the Road substitution. For this one, I cannot get a match when using 'Cemetary rd'.

For Larter Road, only one possible substitution exists, Road. For this one, I can use 'Larter rd' and get a match.

This probably has something to do with the fact that I am using a single line entry.

Phil
0 Kudos