Pansharpening function - 8 band WV2 data

11-28-2012 08:47 AM
NathanPugh
New Contributor III
I have two mosaic datasets built.  1 with the 1/2 meter panchromatic images and 1 with the 2 meter Multi-spectral images.  I would like to use the pansharpening function on the multi-spectral mosaic dataset and keep all 8 bands in the output.  It seems like every output option/method only allows the output to have 4 bands.  Has anybody had a similar workflow problem?  I would like to avoid creating multiple mosaic datasets for every band combination but right now that seems like the only option.
5 Replies
JamieDrisdelle
New Contributor III
Hi Nathan,

What version are you using? If you are using 10.1 you can set the product definition to world view 2(8 band) when creating a new mosaic dataset.  When you add rasters to this mosaic dataset the default raster type will be set to worldview2.  You can navigate to the .imd (or a folder if you are adding multiple scenes).   At this point you can click on the button next to the raster type and turn on pan sharpening the the processing templates dropdown in the general tab.  If you want to modify some of the defaults for the pan sharpening function you can go to the functions tab and right click on the pan sharpen function.  This should maintain all 8 bands when you are finished.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Jamie
0 Kudos
DawnBaldridge
New Contributor III
We are still using ArcMap 10.0 with WorldView 2 imagery with 8 bands. Will we be able to use a single mosaic dataset for pansharpening and keep all 8 bands? Or will separate datasets have to be created for all band combinations?
Thank you.
0 Kudos
JamieDrisdelle
New Contributor III
Yes. You can. It will manage all of that for you.
0 Kudos
DawnBaldridge
New Contributor III
This still does not work properly. I have created a mosaic dataset several times using different properties and at most I can only get 4 of the 8 bands into the dataset.  I used the help documentation that says to use the NITF for the first image then load the rest of the rasters as WorldView 2. Still only 4 bands get loaded.
Am I missing a step? I really need all 8 bands to do the required analysis.
I am using ArcGIS Advanced 10.0.
0 Kudos
JamieDrisdelle
New Contributor III
The spectral bandwidth of the pan only covers blue (just a little), green, yellow, red, red edge and NIR (just a little) MS bands.  So the most you can pan sharpen would be 6 bands, but the common bands would be 4 bands b, g, r, nir.  Compute pan sharpen weights for Gramm Schmidt would give you the weights tailored for his specific image.  This method is only available at 10.1 and later.  

You could sharpen b,g,y as one 3-band composite image and then ps r, re, nir for the 2nd 3-band composite, then combine them into one 6-band pansharpened image. You could even include the coastal and NIR2 unsharpened bands in this last composite image if you want all 8 bands. This would have to be done manually using the extract band/pansharpen function or suing the pan sharpen gp tool.
0 Kudos