Orthorectify old aerial photos

06-01-2012 12:18 AM
Jose_FranciscoSánchez_Díaz
New Contributor II
Hello:
I have a set of 1950 aerial photos and I want to orhorectify it and afterwards, mosaicing it.
I not sure what is the best way to rectify this short of images with ArcGIS 10.1.
I have a recent orthoimage to look for control points, and I have a DEM. I haven't camera paremeteres.
I saw that in ERDAS is posible to add DEM information to enhance rectification beyond data provided for Control Points.
Is possible to do somethig similar in ArcGIS?

Thanks!!
4 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The ortho rectification process requires RPCs in order to orthorectify.  Without the RPCs the ortho rectify process cannot be used.  What you may be describing is georeferencing not ortho rectification which can be done in both software platforms, but without camera information and RPCs the output might be georeferenced, but not orthorectified.
yaskshelat
New Contributor
Hello:
I have a set of 1950 aerial photos and I want to orhorectify it and afterwards, mosaicing it.
I not sure what is the best way to rectify this short of images with ArcGIS 10.1.
I have a recent orthoimage to look for control points, and I have a DEM. I haven't camera paremeteres.
I saw that in ERDAS is posible to add DEM information to enhance rectification beyond data provided for Control Points.
Is possible to do somethig similar in ArcGIS?

Thanks!!

I dont think you need DEM to georeference airphotos. DEM can be used while doing an orthorectification of RADAR imagery

Yask
0 Kudos
Jose_FranciscoSánchez_Díaz
New Contributor II
Ok!
I have clear now tath I want to goereference instead of orthorectiy. Anyway, software as ILWIS let you having into account a Terrain model in order to georeference image. Having x,y and z instead of x and y coordinates, helps IlWIS to correct distorsion derived from terrain. I know tath Erdas do this too. It's any way to include a DTM in arcgis to making georeferencing more accurate?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
Occasional Contributor II
I have recently been trying to orthorectify some aerial photography using ERDAS Imagine 2011 and it's been such a frustrating experience that I have finally given up on using that software.  (In my opinion, it is just not user-friendly - and in my case I could never get it to work.)

Instead, I have recently been using the Georeferencing tools in ArcMap and the results have been quite good!  It is user-friendly and it doesn't take much time to setup and process.  I have found that the best results are obtained by using the "Projective" transformation option.  While georeferencing may not be as accurate as true orthorectification, I would recommend ESRI georeferencing as a first attempt - especially if anyone is considering the purchase of additional third-party software.
0 Kudos