orthophoto quality changes after loading to arcmap

Jump to solution
11-11-2016 02:58 AM
MartinSchuster
New Contributor

I have 4 different orthophotos (jpegs with world file). When looking at the images with a viewer (standard windows viewer) the brightness, saturation and hue looks quite similar in all images. But when loading them into arcmap (without pyramids) it looks like the quality decreases from image to image. I have attached a screenshot of the 4 images in ArcMap. The adding- order plays no role, the image on the lower-right is always the worst.

When I load the images with "build pyramids" (standard) into ArcMap I get a different (better - but not satisfying) result. There is also a screenshot attached.

Resolultion of the images is always the same and come frome government

Has anybody an idea what exactly the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is an interesting exercise Exercise 6: Color balancing a raster catalog—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

descriptions for...

And the reason for statistics Raster data statistics—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Perhaps rather than store them individually, you might consider one of the above storage options or at least perform the statistics as well as the pyramids, 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is an interesting exercise Exercise 6: Color balancing a raster catalog—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

descriptions for...

And the reason for statistics Raster data statistics—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Perhaps rather than store them individually, you might consider one of the above storage options or at least perform the statistics as well as the pyramids, 

MartinSchuster
New Contributor

Thanks, this was my next step... of course it is better to store the orthos in a raster dataset but I first intension was to skip this part because of the amount of images (only 4). Usually when I work with more than 4 images I do this step anyway.

Again... thanks.

0 Kudos