open netcdf file with different years

04-11-2016 05:02 AM
JankaVanschoenwinkel
New Contributor

I downloaded monthly gridded data from this website: http://browse.ceda.ac.uk/browse/badc/cru/data

(Registration is free, but required. Once registered, go to the tab “dataset” and search for “CRU”. You will find a number of datasets. Click on “CRU TS3.23: Climatic Research Unit (CRU) Time-Series (TS) Version 3.23 of High Resolution Gridded Data of Month-by-month Variation in Climate (Jan. 1901- Dec. 2014)”, click “Data”, then chose a variable (for instance “pet”). Chose the year-period (I took 2001-2010).

The file that you have now should contain monthly grids from January 2001 till December 2010. It is a netcdf file but I do not manage to see the different years. Once I open in it Arc Gis, I don’t find a way to select the different year/month-layers. I used "multidimensional tools" in the toolbox to open the map. I found on the internet somebody else who had the same problem, but I don't understand how he solved it. I am relatively new to ArcGis. (NetCDF to Raster (arcgis) - GIS - CartoTalk )

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

time offset yours is 0,00 which is the comma decimal separator if I am not mistaken

AndrewKeith3
Occasional Contributor

Try dragging the nc file from file explorer into your mxd instead of using Make NetCDF raster layer.  Also, check the box "Data changes frequently so calculate time extent automatically'.  My local computer time settings are UTC-06:00 Central Time (US & Canada).

AndrewKeith3
Occasional Contributor
JankaVanschoenwinkel
New Contributor

Yes! I got it! Thank you very much. I don't believe I could have found this by myself. So once again thank you.

If I am allowed to ask one more question, is it possible to save the different layers as different shapefiles?

0 Kudos
AndrewKeith3
Occasional Contributor

These are not shapefiles, you could export to a raster format such as tif.  Right click layer > Data > export data> follow prompt.

0 Kudos
JankaVanschoenwinkel
New Contributor

Okay! Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos