Oblique Aerial Photo Question

06-13-2013 09:29 PM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
Any recommendations on how to georeference an oblique aerial photo in a way that will allow Feature Classes to be overlain on top of it with reasonably good accuracy?

I know how to georeference the standard aerial photo, it is the oblique aerials that have me confused. Has anyone worked with obliques in ArcGIS?
2 Replies
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
Any recommendations on how to georeference an oblique aerial photo in a way that will allow Feature Classes to be overlain on top of it with reasonably good accuracy?

I know how to georeference the standard aerial photo, it is the oblique aerials that have me confused. Has anyone worked with obliques in ArcGIS?

Timothy,

Firstly, with latest camera models, most of all standard airphotos should be �??Direct Georeferenced�?? (usually, in IMU),  or can be done in photogrammetry package like ERDAS LPS or PCI OrthoEngine, which support standard camera models.

After reading your thread, just tried two inclined urban photos in 'GeoReferencing' of ArcGIS (i.e., without using camera models), which show working, somehow.

[INDENT]Generally speaking, it would be helpful, if collecting GCPs correctly, �??where those GCP features should be located at surface or near-surface (not roof�?�), like road intersections, ground corners of buildings (without shadow) �?��??

Also, it is advisable to check the quality of GCPs in perspective mode (ArcGlobe or ArcGIS Explorer), before �??Rectify�?? applied in �??Georeferencing�??.
[/INDENT]

Another solution is: to use PCI GI (GeoImaging Tools for ArcGIS) first, and then load into MD.

[INDENT]PCI GI supports most of latest camera models and produce rasters in the format �??RPDef�??. When dealing with massive tilted photos, it is effective way to go, especially for users who are not familiar with photogrammetry packages.[/INDENT]

Regards,

LARRY@ARAMCO
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
For third-party oblique integration solution in ArcGIS, link to �??Pictometry Integrations for Esri�?? at http://www.pictometry.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=97
0 Kudos