Number of connections to instance

03-21-2012 07:04 AM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III
installed SQLServer Express and enabled GDB storage using our ArcEditor (Desktop - Standard) License.

Few questions regarding the number of connections to the SQL Server instance, named "sqldb"

Lets say I create/publish a .mxd using data from a SDE gdb stored in sqldb.

How many clients can simultaneously connect to the service to view the data (read only)?

ArcGIS desktop -- client #1
ArcGIS online mapA -- client #2
ArcGIS online mapB -- client #3
JavascriptAPI custom map -- client #4  <---will this client receive the 'maximum number of connections to instance exceeded'?

thanks!
0 Kudos
17 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Thanks JSkinn3.

So, if I set the pooled service maximum connections to 1 (one) it will use only one connection to database? If it is correct, so me and my colleague have read access to the database, right? The case is: I have this sql geodatabase that is consumed by the web map service, can we (me and one user) access it to read (and one of us write)?

Thanks in advance

Yes, that is correct. 

If you are still receiving a max connections error, check the 'dbo.sde_process_information' table within SQL Server Management Studio to see if there are any orphaned connections.  At 10.1, there is new functionality that allows you to see which users are connected to the geodatabase directly from the catalog window.
0 Kudos
JeffersonFerreira_Ferreira
New Contributor III
Thank you JSkinn3.
I will test it and give you a feedback soon.
0 Kudos
New Contributor III
Thank you JSkinn3.
I will test it and give you a feedback soon.

The issue is not yet solved. I restarted the ArcSOC, deleted the services that consume the sql database and the message "Maximum number of connections...." still appear.
I checked the dbo.sde_process_information table within SQL Server Management Studio and cant identify anything, see the attached figure.
Its a serious issue, very recurrent. Doesn't matter what I do, the connection are not closed. Please, if someone have a tip...
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Are you sure the geodatabase was updated to be a Workgroup geodatabase?  You should never see a max connections message with a workgroup geodatabase.  Based on this:

When I right-click at the Database Server Connection in Catalog>Properties we see "Class: ArcSDE Personal Server".

...it doesn't sound like you have a workgroup geodatabase.  Be sure to authorize the instance with a Server Workgroup license, then update the geodatabases as described in the topic on changing license keys that I referenced in April.

Publishing services from a Desktop database server (ArcSDE Personal Server) is not supported.

-Kim
0 Kudos
New Contributor III
My Friends;

This quite serious. I really dont know what happens. I Always get the message "maximum number...". I have 2 geodatabases (SQL Express / ArcSDE Workgroup Server), one for rasters other for vectors. In GIS Server I have a geometry service, a geodata service, 6 image services and 3 map services (2 of them consuming an image from the rasters geodatabase each one).

But the windows processes list (task manager>processes) I have 12 ArcSOC.exe *32 processes running. Thats all right, all working great. After some requests (by using the web application) the ArcSOC processes jump to 17. So I follow the work normally. In some point one of the rastes (usually on of them) becomes inaccessible (accessing it from the rest a message says "doenst exist or is inaccessible).

So it only returns to work normally if a restart the SOM and SOC. Thus, appear the SOCs processes are holding instances indefinitely until I restart the SOC and SOM.

What could be happens? If someone can give a tip, please... I dont know what to do anymore.
Thanks
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
If all of these services are accessing data from your SDE Workgroup geodatabases, you are at your maximum connections.  Set your 'Maximum number of instance per machine' to 1.  You can do this by right-clicking on each service > Service Properties > Pooling.  This way an additional database connection is not attempted if a simultaneous request is made on a service.
0 Kudos
New Contributor III
If all of these services are accessing data from your SDE Workgroup geodatabases, you are at your maximum connections.  Set your 'Maximum number of instance per machine' to 1.  You can do this by right-clicking on each service > Service Properties > Pooling.  This way an additional database connection is not attempted if a simultaneous request is made on a service.

Thanks JSkinn3. I Will try it and will let you know how it works. But, this will not impact th number of concurrent access in the web application? Or will be the same?

Other issue, let me understand this better. I have 2 geodatabases, I can make 10 connections to each one? Or I can make a total of 10 connections to all my sde databases?
0 Kudos
AaronKreag2
New Contributor II

If you read the ESRI Master License Agreement....it says under footnote 28. that there is no connection limit with web mapping applications.  Please see the image attached....

ESRI_SDE_Workgroup_WebConnections_Nolimit.PNG

0 Kudos