NetCDF coordinate issue

11-29-2012 07:58 AM
BrianKoeneke
New Contributor
I am attempting to display data contained in a NetCDF file, but the data is not being accurately displayed. I've attached the metadata for the NetCDF file I'm using, which includes the metadata for the variable in the file I'm looking to display.

When I use the Make NetCDF Raster Layer tool, under the X Dimension box my options are DIM_144, DIM_147 and DIM_245, but I don't believe any of these are in lat/lon. DIM_144 is the y-coordinates and DIM_147 is the X coordinates. Anyone have any experience using NetCDF data and know how to specify the coordinates in lat/lon? Thanks in advance...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinButler1
Esri Contributor
Brian:

Can you attach the entire netCDF file or a link to it?  I may have a solution to your problem.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
BrianKoeneke
New Contributor
The NetCDF file itself is 49MB...is there somewhere I can place that for download?

Here we go... http://www.mediafire.com/?fa75sy3t54f1bx4
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
NetCDFs are primarily always WGS 1984. The ArcMap NetCDF tools work off the idea that the coordinates are always WGS 1984.  There are a few exceptions in regards to the format and this document discusses some of them.  The datum are always considered to be WGS 1984 even with the gridded attribute is included that is referred to here.  Take a look at the information here and see if it helps.
0 Kudos
BrianKoeneke
New Contributor
Looking at the attributes of my NetCDF file, I don't have some of the attributes listed on the Spatial Reference help page. That would explain the spatial reference unkown error I'm getting?

I assume this means my file does not conform to the CF convention, and therefore can't be displayed in ArcGIS?
0 Kudos
CandaceMacDonald
New Contributor II
Hi I'm having an issue a bit different but was unable to post a new thread so I replied here instead.
I have a NetCDF file that I have been trying to read in to Arc 10.1 but I keep getting variable spacing error #000276. I didn't make the file but was given the extents and number of columns/rows and believe the cells may be rectangular and not square. Can you have rectangular cell sizes with NetCDF files? I have zipped and attached the file in question. Thanks a lot for any help, I've searched everywhere and even taken the NetCDF Webinar from a couple of weeks ago!
0 Kudos