need help with data lining up

Jump to solution
07-16-2014 04:54 AM
navathayerram
New Contributor

Hello,

I have two shapefiles having same projection. one file is a part of area of the other file. When added to the screen, they are not superimposing. Please tell me where i did the problem. the shapefiles are here with attached. Thank u....

Title was edited by: Timothy Hales

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Willem_JanVierbergen
Esri Contributor

I think that you should define WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_44N to these shapefiles. If I do so, the geometry is projected east of the city of Warangal.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

I am not sure what your issue is. this is how the layers show up if I open them up at my end:

shapefiles.PNG

0 Kudos
navathayerram
New Contributor

U also have one more text file inplease add that through add x,y. The shapefiles are not coinciding with the points in the text file.

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

It appears the incorrect projection is defined for the shapefiles.  When I create a xy features for the included .txt file and define a geographic coordinate system WGS1984 the points align fine with india.  The Shapefiles also have a defined projection of WGS 1984 but the coordinated don't resemble reasonable Lat and Lon values.  It would appear that the projection for these shapefiles has been incorrectly defined.

0 Kudos
navathayerram
New Contributor

Thank u... I have reprojected and i got the files superimposed....

0 Kudos
Willem_JanVierbergen
Esri Contributor

I think that you should define WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_44N to these shapefiles. If I do so, the geometry is projected east of the city of Warangal.

navathayerram
New Contributor

Thank u so much.

I have projected the files again and i got the layers super imposed. Thank u very much

0 Kudos