Multiple Feature Classes and many fields; one by one?!

Jump to solution
09-28-2012 11:02 AM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
I need to create an SDE Geodatabase (SQL Server Express 2008 R2) with 100 Feature Classes. The SDE Geodatabase is created. I have all my Domains set up as well. I have set up each Feature Class Schema in Excel for pre-design QA/QC purposes. I just started to create each Feature Class in the Geodatabase and adding each Field Name, Alias, and Data Type, one by one in ArcCatalog. There must be an easier way! any ideas?

Some of the Feature Classes have common Field Names. For example they all have fields named CREATED_BY; CREATION_DATE; EDITOR; EDIT_DATE.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHayes
X-Ray works! Here is what I did:

- Created two empty File Geodatabasee: File Geodatabase 1 and File Geodatabase 2.

- Copied a Feature Class (in this case Air Reliefs) from another File Geodatabase into File Geodatabase 1.

- Using X-Ray, I exported GDB to XML.

- I then opened Edit Datasets; Excel pops open; I then made the changes/additions to the Air Relief Feature Class Schema; Saved and Closed.

- I then renamed the XML file from File Geodatabase 1.xml to File Geodatabase2.xml. I then made sure that my XML Workspace Document was File Geodatabase2.xml.

- I then Saved Edits to Selected XML Workspace

- I then selected File Geodatabase 2.

- Import XML workspace to selected GDB

The Air Relief Feature Class with the new Schema is now in File Geodatabase 2.

What was I doing wrong earlier? Not sure, maybe it was not working since the Feature Class I was using had no data in it? maybe I was just tired?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimHayes
I figured out I need to create a data model using Visio, but I see all the CASE Tools and UML Tools are for 9.3.1 or 10.0, and Visio 2002/2007.

Will UML and CASE work in 10.1 and Visio 2010?

Here is what I need to do:

I have to create 100 Feature Classes and their associated Schemas. Using ArcCatalog to "hand-jockey" the Fields, Aliases, and Data Types one by one is tedious and mind-numbing. What would you recommend I do?
0 Kudos
TimHayes
I figured out I need to create a data model using Visio, but I see all the CASE Tools and UML Tools are for 9.3.1 or 10.0, and Visio 2002/2007.

Will UML and CASE work in 10.1 and Visio 2010?

Here is what I need to do:

I have to create 100 Feature Classes and their associated Schemas. Using ArcCatalog to "hand-jockey" the Fields, Aliases, and Data Types one by one is tedious and mind-numbing. What would you recommend I do?

I found ArcGIS Diagrammer, I remember using this a few years back for 10.0. Worked great! but, it does not work with 10.1. I tried, but no luck. What are my options? I am sure someone out there is creating Data Models with 10.1; please divulge your secrets and let me know how you are doing it and what software you are using. With the release of 10.1, I hope ESRI is not "steering" folks to use their canned data models, none of which even come close to being applicable for what I am working on. Thanks.
0 Kudos
TimHayes
I found ArcGIS Diagrammer, I remember using this a few years back for 10.0. Worked great! but, it does not work with 10.1. I tried, but no luck. What are my options? I am sure someone out there is creating Data Models with 10.1; please divulge your secrets and let me know how you are doing it and what software you are using. With the release of 10.1, I hope ESRI is not "steering" folks to use their canned data models, none of which even come close to being applicable for what I am working on. Thanks.

UPDATE: I found this X-Ray for ArcCatalog Add-In
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c181d52a95b946abab6208322dc8410b

I followed the video step by step. Seemed to work great for everything but what I needed it to do, add in new fields to an existing Feature Class in a Geodatabase. The video says and shows you how to do it. Here is what I did, as shown in the video:

- I created a new File Geodatabase, then a new Feature Class, then in ArcCatalog I added a new field named SDRW, Text, 50.

- I then opened the XML file, and renamed it.

- I then opened Dataset, Excel pops open. I added a new field named TEMP444. I then saved and closed Excel.

- I created a second File Geodatabase.

- I imported this Feature Class and renamed XML file into the new File Geodatabase.

- Good news is the Feature Class shows up in the File Geodatabase, the original Field, SDRW, is there. But, the field TEMP444 is not there. I refreshed, and checked the spreadsheet, it just disappeared into thin air.

I then rinsed and repeated with same results.

Any ideas? I heard FME can create Data Models. This might be the way to go.
0 Kudos
TimHayes
X-Ray works! Here is what I did:

- Created two empty File Geodatabasee: File Geodatabase 1 and File Geodatabase 2.

- Copied a Feature Class (in this case Air Reliefs) from another File Geodatabase into File Geodatabase 1.

- Using X-Ray, I exported GDB to XML.

- I then opened Edit Datasets; Excel pops open; I then made the changes/additions to the Air Relief Feature Class Schema; Saved and Closed.

- I then renamed the XML file from File Geodatabase 1.xml to File Geodatabase2.xml. I then made sure that my XML Workspace Document was File Geodatabase2.xml.

- I then Saved Edits to Selected XML Workspace

- I then selected File Geodatabase 2.

- Import XML workspace to selected GDB

The Air Relief Feature Class with the new Schema is now in File Geodatabase 2.

What was I doing wrong earlier? Not sure, maybe it was not working since the Feature Class I was using had no data in it? maybe I was just tired?
0 Kudos