Multi-user Editing

10-09-2014 05:01 AM
AbhishekSingh
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I have come across an issue where two different editors edit o two different versions at the same time. Lets say we user1 and user2 editing in ver1 and ver2 respectively.

Now, if user1 has started a time consuming process in ver1, lets say finding disconnected features (participating in a geometric network) then user2 is NOT able to save edits in ver2 until the task in ver1 has completed.

I am sure this isn't expected behavior. I think this is happening due to the low bandwidth of the network, which is waiting for transaction 1 (finding disconnections) to complete in order to start with a new transaction. (saving edits) as both the changes are happening from client machines to the same database server.

I am using ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP2 QIP/ArcSDE 9.3.1 SP2 with SQL SERVER 2008R2

Any thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Your editors are making changes to a 'versioned' geometric network?  That sounds very problematic to me.  One of the shortcomings to any SDE is the use of a feature dataset. 

Personally, I avoid feature datasets like the plague in SDE.  My approach is to edit the basic features in SDE and then replicate them one-way to a file geodatabase: its the File GDB that is used for production.

That should just about do it....
RudyStricklan
New Contributor II

Joe, like you I've experienced numerous problems with ArcSDE's vestigial feature dataset construct. If you're amenable, I'd like to establish correspondence with you outside of this forum to compare notes. We could then publish the shortcomings in this forum for other interested participants.

Kind regards,

Rudy Stricklan

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sure-  should I send an email to mapping_automation?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RudyStricklan
New Contributor II

Yes, please, Joe: rudy.stricklan@mappingautomation.com. Thanks for the

speedy response. I'm at the Esri Dev Summit at the moment, asking my usual

list of embarrassing questions :-). You're not here also by any chance...?

Rudy

0 Kudos