Moving SDE Geodatabase to new folder

Jump to solution
09-30-2012 04:43 PM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
In the Database Properties Window, Name; it shows:

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\GISDATASTORAGE.sde

No one else is using the geodatabase; no one else is logged onto it. My Map Services are not connected to it. I just created it. I have Feature Datasets and Feature Classes with data stored in it.

How do I go about changing the location of GISDATASTORAGE.sde? I would like to move it to a Folder on my E: drive. I want to change the location to E:\SDE_Geodatabases\GISDATASTORAGE.sde
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
That really doesn't sound like an ArcSDE geodatabase -- SQL-Server usually reserves the suffixes
on database files (and they come as a set .mdf/.ldf) -- but if it is, then you need to use SQL-Server
to detach the database, move it (and its companion) using the filesystem, then reattach the mdf.
The .sde file is more than likely just the connection file to the database, so you'll probably want to
look at the datafiles' names (and location) before you detach the database.

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
That really doesn't sound like an ArcSDE geodatabase -- SQL-Server usually reserves the suffixes
on database files (and they come as a set .mdf/.ldf) -- but if it is, then you need to use SQL-Server
to detach the database, move it (and its companion) using the filesystem, then reattach the mdf.
The .sde file is more than likely just the connection file to the database, so you'll probably want to

- V
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III

- V

I was confused. I was in ArcCatalog and right clicked on my SDE Geodatabase, chose Properties, then under Name the above referenced path came up. This looks like a pointer? it is not the actual database. I found that my SDE Geodatabase indeed does reside in SQL Server on my E: drive just how I want it to. No problems. Thanks.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
"C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\GISDATASTORAGE.sde"

The above path is the location where the geodatabase connection files for ArcCatalog are stored by default. You can even copy paste the "GISDATASTORAGE.sde" connection file and place it in your desired folder on any drive of your choice and then connect to it from ArcCatalog.
0 Kudos