Moving ArcSDE 10.0 (SQLServer) from workgroup into domain and windows authentication

04-17-2013 11:12 AM
GavinMcGhie
Occasional Contributor
Hi all
I have an ArcSDE 10.0 server running on SQLServer 2005 (Win Server 2008). It's currently set up as a member of a workgroup rather than a domain as we had been running in a Novell environment (don't laugh) until a few months back. Now IT has a domain and active directory working, so I've been told I need to migrate the server to their new domain and work towards using Windows Authentication and single sign on.

Currently, almost all SQLServer users including 'sa', 'sde', and our one and only data owner are using SQLServer authentication. The only exceptions to this are 'BUILTIN/Administrators' and 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM' which are using Windows Authentication as accounts on the local server.

There are 3 others along the lines of 'GISDE2\SQLServer2005MSFTEUser$GISDE2$MSSQLSERVER', but I suspect those are unused as GISDE2 was the original name of the server (now changed) when I was building it and moving from 9.3.1 to 10 (and SDE has been running fine since 2011 this way).

Anyway, in moving onto the new domain, I am thinking I can leave the various SDE Authentication accts alone other than those of the end users (which I will drop and re-add as Windows Auth users- none own SDE data) and also leave alone the local Windows Authentication users. I'm hoping just to migrate our end users' accts to Windows Authentication once I move the server to it's new domain. I'm hoping this would allow me to avoid making a lot of changes or having reinstall SQLServer or SDE. Since my background is GIS and I'm just a hack with all the network/DBA stuff, I'm wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom on how to approach this? Of course i will test all of this on a VM image of the SDE server before doing anything dumb with the production server, but would appreciate any time saving guidance you all have to offer.
Thanks, Gavin
0 Kudos
0 Replies