Moving an SDE Replication DB to a new machine

12-27-2010 09:23 AM
DahaeHwang
New Contributor II
We have a set of Oracle 10gR2 Standby and Primary databases on different UNIX servers using the Oracle Data Guard and have a plan to move the Standby to a new machine. ArcSDE is v 9.3.1. So our plan is to create a new physical standby database on the new box using the RMAN for a backup copy of the Primary DB.
I've found some previous forum threads on Standby Databases with the Data Guard and it sounds like there will be some restrictions with the readonly mode of the standby instance. Then at which step should I install an SDE instance after moving the backup copy onto the Standby machine? The existing SDE system tables and geodatabases will be moved into the new DB but I am not sure when the best timing would be to install the SDE instance (sdesetup �??o install) and to authorize the SDE GDB. Or are there additional requirements for the SDE setup in case of copying an existing geodatabase?
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You wouldn't ever run 'sdesetup -o install' on a database already configured with ArcSDE
(and if you did, it would fail due to the existing instance). Re-running the authorization
process isn't necessary either (and would fail if the instance wasn't read/write).  Even
Windows service creation should be managed with care, since you can't start the service
if the instance is in standby mode.

- V
0 Kudos
DahaeHwang
New Contributor II
Thanks for reply Vince.
You mean that if I copy SDE home from the old machine and the database is moved to the new DBMS including sde schema, then the SDE which is configured for the old one would run without any install/authorization process? (Here I suppose the standby database is switched over to the primary for starting the sde.) Does this mean that I can just run the sde configured in 'services.sde' by 'sdemon -o start' ??
If I am not the right track could you provide some more information how SDE would work by moving the backup of a GDB from an existing machine to another?
I appreciate your help,
Dahae
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Keep in mind that ArcSDE has three components:
1) The database tables (and configuration, like ST_GEOMETRY library references in the listener)
2) The ArcSDE application server software
3) The ArcSDE client API

If you move 1 and 2 to a new host intact, they will function.  In the case of Direct Connect,
where 2 and 3 exist on the client, all you need is the network configuration for the database
(TNSNAMES.ORA in the case of Oracle) to change servers.

You should of course make sure the new host has /etc/hosts and /etc/services compatible
with the old server (part of the "intact" condition), but Unix transfer is very simple (Windows
transfer is only complicated by service creation).

- V
0 Kudos
DahaeHwang
New Contributor II

1) The database tables (and configuration, like ST_GEOMETRY library references in the listener)
2) The ArcSDE application server software
3) The ArcSDE client API
In the case of Direct Connect, where 2 and 3 exist on the client, all you need is the network configuration for the database (TNSNAMES.ORA in the case of Oracle) to change servers.

It is much clearer but I got some more questions.
We need both SDE and Direct Connect. Then.. is this the right scenario for sde connect?
- set up a new DBMS with a backup copy (for #1),
- install the sde software on the new server (for #2)
- don't run 'setupsde' commands to prevent from breaking the existing SDE GDB (this wouldn't even work anyway)
- make '/etc/hosts and /etc/services' compatible with the old one
- then I can start sde instance on the new DBMS server for SDE Connect?

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
This is where we leave the technical and begin the legal. You can start the service
if the database is not a standby server instance (physical or logical), AND if you've
licensed ArcGIS Server Basic (or higher) on the host.

- V
0 Kudos
DahaeHwang
New Contributor II
I see...
Thanks a ton. This really helped me!
0 Kudos
DahaeHwang
New Contributor II
Vince, there is still something unclear to me.. In the ArcSDE postinstallation setup scenario, I understand that creating the ArcSDE and geodatabase system tables in the DBMS can be skipped by copying the existing backup & configurations but what about the authorization..? I mean we will have a license to authorize the sde on this failover machine but if 'sdesetup -o install' doesn't work in readonly mode, you mean that I will need to switch the mode for read/write for authorization process? Or is there any other methods by not using sdesetup command?? Thanks,
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
If you make a clone via replication, then detach it and run it standalone, then
you should apply the license and start the giomgr.

If the instance is a standby database (physical or logical) you can't apply the
license file without breaking replication.  The license installed in the primary
will function for this use. 

You can't run the giomgr when the database is standby, so read-only access
to a logical standby instance can be achieved through Direct Connect.

- V
0 Kudos