ModelBuilder Resourcing Data Connection

Jump to solution
08-03-2017 08:02 AM
JKGIS08
New Contributor III

Is there a way to resource database connections in models that have lots of source data? I would like to create a model in DEV, run in TEST then PROD for various schema changes or processes. I currently open each source and update the db connection, wondering if there is a better way.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

I usually want to source from the map layer (dragging from TOC), so the model can honor selects. If you need to actually navigate to the data source, my suggestion won't work.

If you have two maps for Production and Testing, you can use the ArcCatalog Set Data Sources tool to check and set up the sources in the maps. The tool is kludgy but it works. Then source from the TOC, not by navigating. Give the layers the same names in both maps, without using any Group layers. They should look alike to the model.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

I usually want to source from the map layer (dragging from TOC), so the model can honor selects. If you need to actually navigate to the data source, my suggestion won't work.

If you have two maps for Production and Testing, you can use the ArcCatalog Set Data Sources tool to check and set up the sources in the maps. The tool is kludgy but it works. Then source from the TOC, not by navigating. Give the layers the same names in both maps, without using any Group layers. They should look alike to the model.

JKGIS08
New Contributor III

Ah yes, I forgot modelbuilder works with layers when creating in ArcMap. I was creating these in Catalog but resourcing from TOC does it for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos