Merge rasters of various resolution

07-24-2014 03:50 AM
KatarzynaSzczepanik
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a global coverage of low resolution (1arc-min) gravity data and also local coverage from various regions with higher resolution. I need to incorporate those local rasters into my global map with preserving high resolution locally within this lower resolution raster. Also I need to buffer the area around the edges of the high res grid so it  passes into the surrounding low resolution without a clearly visible outline.

I tried to use Mosaic to New Raster with using the Minimum option but its been working for 24h with no result yet and I am not really sure if that is the right tool to use.

I would really appreciate any help, as I am just a student and might be missing an obvious answer.

Kasia

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Katarzyna,

I would recommend creating a mosaic dataset.  This will save you time and storage.  Once the mosaic dataset is created, take a look at changing the Mosaic Operator by right-clicking on the mosaic dataset in ArcMap > Properties > Mosaic.

0 Kudos
KatarzynaSzczepanik
New Contributor

Hi Jake,

Thank you for your advise. Unfortunatelly I have only a basic licence and do not have acces to Mosaic Dataset Tool. I tried the basic tools such as Mosaic (from Raster Dataset Toolbox) or Mosaic to New Raster but they have been running for about 24h with no results. I am affraid it is the size of the original global grid that affects the results as it is over 7GB.

Kasia

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you really need global coverage?  How many areas do you have of local coverage? perhaps just working with those would be better and provide a means of linking to the more detailed coverage

0 Kudos
KatarzynaSzczepanik
New Contributor

I have about 5-10 regional more local areas so far to incorporate into 2 global datasets. They also vary with resolution between them. I was hoping to create one global raster with all of them but I think now due to the technical issues the only option is layer package with overlays.

0 Kudos