Merge Option in Mosaic Dataset

12-08-2012 02:37 AM
BruceBurwell
New Contributor II
I am trying to create a mosaic dataset of Geoeye data covering a study area. The image was acquired at the same time and then cut into 7 tiles and delivered to our office. When I load the images into a mosaic dataset and use the merge option, it recompiles it back into 1 image, but the data has black edges in areas of overlap. The imaery has 3 rows with a couple of images on each. It looks like the data is simply stacked and not blended together when merged. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Bruce Burwell
Saudi Aramco
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor
Bruce,
Before you run the merge operation, you should run the build footprints operation. This will remove the padding you are seeing. The following help page details the process http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//009t0000003w000000

Regards
Gordon
0 Kudos
BruceBurwell
New Contributor II
Gordon

This is an option on the General tab when I am loading the data into the mosaic dataset. Don't I recompute footprints after loading the data? I am not trying to export the data out as a single image. I want to rebuild the image back into its original form virtually (if that is the right word). When I do that, I don't get the checkerboard effect of all the seperate images. Unfortunately, there is not a merge function I can add after the load.

Does that make sense?
Bruce
0 Kudos
BruceBurwell
New Contributor II
I was wondering if anyone else had this issue with the merge item option when loading data into a mosaic dataset? The purpose of this option is to rebuild the Geoeye images back into their original image after they have been tiled by the vendor. This needs to be done when you calculate statistics. It produces an image that has the same colours across all the data. The only other way to get the same affect is to use no stretching when loading the data, then calculate statistsics and apply a strecth on the entire mosaic dataset.

Is this a known bug? Is someone looking into this? Is there a workaround? I have tried using the Image Analyst window to merge them together and it does the same thing.

Regards
Bruce Burwell
0 Kudos