Map scale 1: 50 000 and conversion to raster 2.5m

05-12-2014 04:06 PM
LienPham
New Contributor
Hi,

I have a soil map with scale 1:50 000 and a SPOT5 image resolution 2.5m. I would like to convert that vector soil layer to raster format with the resolution 2.5m because I would like to use 2 kinds of data for landscape classification. I wonder that whether the conversion of soil layer to 2.5m is appropriate? If not appropriate, which resolution of raster should be when converted from  the map scale 1:50 000?

Thank for your consideration.

Regards,

Pham
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
If you were talking about a printed map I would think about it this way...
On a very finely drawn map, a line would appear to be about 0.2mm width, this equates to a pixel size of 10m (0.2 X 50,000 / 1,000). Then there are all the other things to consider, generalization and detail at that scale.
But if that's what you've got, go with it. Just be aware of the potential pitfalls.
Good luck, Neil
0 Kudos
LienPham
New Contributor
If you were talking about a printed map I would think about it this way...
On a very finely drawn map, a line would appear to be about 0.2mm width, this equates to a pixel size of 10m (0.2 X 50,000 / 1,000). Then there are all the other things to consider, generalization and detail at that scale.
But if that's what you've got, go with it. Just be aware of the potential pitfalls.
Good luck, Neil

Thanks Neil so much for your guidance.

Lien
0 Kudos