Manage Replica in SDE schema database

03-06-2012 07:17 PM
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III
Suppose you have an sde schema database in SQL Server.  The sde user owns the repository but no data.
Suppose you create a data loader account (SQL account), with create table and create procedure permissions, and load some data.

When you connect to your SDE database in ArcCatalog, in order to Create a Replica, the "database user must have write access to the data".  Given that requirement, neither the sde user nor the GIS data loader would have that ability as I've outlined above, correct?

Would you:

A.  connect to the SDE geodatabase from ArcCatalog as "dbo", or as another user mapped to dbo, OR
B.  grant the gis data loader account edit permissions, OR
C.  create another user and give that account write access to the data?

Do people who have an SDE schema database find themselves managing multiple connections to the same geodatabase?  connection as gis data loader, connection as sde user, connection as data reader, connection as a dbo user, etc?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Suppose you have an sde schema database in SQL Server.  The sde user owns the repository but no data.
Suppose you create a data loader account (SQL account), with create table and create procedure permissions, and load some data.

When you connect to your SDE database in ArcCatalog, in order to Create a Replica, the "database user must have write access to the data".  Given that requirement, neither the sde user nor the GIS data loader would have that ability as I've outlined above, correct?

The GIS data loader will be able to create the replica as long as the data is registered as versioned and has Global IDs.  Since the GIS data loader is the owner of the data, it will also have write access.
0 Kudos
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

Can you elaborate on creating replicas with an SDE schema? I'm wondering if there are any special considerations for which logins to use when creating replicas. For example, do you have to use the same level of permissions for both parent and child?

I ask because I'm having an issue with a two-way replica. The child's edits come back to the parent every time without fail, but edits made on the parent do not transfer to the child. I looked at the A and D tables for the feature classes affected, and the records seem to get orphaned in those tables instead of transferring. I'm to the point now where I'm rebuilding the replica once a week, which suggests to me that I'm making a mistake in the setup.

0 Kudos