.lyr and .shp

Jump to solution
10-11-2017 02:27 AM
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi,

just a very basic question...

If I save a shapefile as a layer (.lyr) in order to keep the symbology and I send to someone JUST the .lyr, would it be possible for him to open the file and to have access to the data + the symbology?Or shall I have to send also the .shp along?

Many thanks

F

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You also need to send the shapefile as well.

A Layer file is just a representation of the shapefile/Feature Class which stores symbology, but the actual data is retrieved from the physical path of the shapefile.

FAQ: What is the difference between a shapefile and a layer file? 

Think Location

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You also need to send the shapefile as well.

A Layer file is just a representation of the shapefile/Feature Class which stores symbology, but the actual data is retrieved from the physical path of the shapefile.

FAQ: What is the difference between a shapefile and a layer file? 

Think Location
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When you deliver a layerfile make sure to create the layer after you have set the "Store relative pathnames to data sources" on in the Map Properties. and save the layerfile to the same folder where the shapefile is stored. In that case the layerfile will find the shapefile when a user who receives the data adds the layerfile to ArcMap. 

and then:

An easier way the share the data and the symbology can be using layer packages (Creating a layer package—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) or a map package in case you have multiple layers: Creating a map package—Help | ArcGIS Desktop :