Losing data

316
4
07-26-2013 06:06 AM
Highlighted
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

We're using ArcEditor 10.1 concurrent use licenses with my coworker's computer as the license server. Both my coworker and I have both lost data in two different databases (gdbs) in two different projects. I lost my data yesterday and he has been losing data almost daily for a month. Since it's not predictable we are having a hard time finding a solution. The data and mxds reside on our server so I think it must be a problem between the server and the software. I lost 4 hours of work yesterday but at least some of my data was in the last backup. His data doesn't seem to be recoverable in the latest backup. I'm going to try putting my data and mxd on my C drive and hope for the best. His has to stay on the server because we both work on that project.

Any other ideas or has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks,
Reply
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cndnflyr

We seem to be having a similar problem.  We've just found 3 days of work missing from a feature class that one of my co-workers did.  The other feature classes kept his work though.  We are wondering if it's an issue with having it on a shared network and 4 of us being in and out of the same dataset.  It seems strange that it would be 3 days gone from this one feature class though, and not random bits here and there...

If you found out anymore please let me know.
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

I contacted Tech support and they had me do two things. One had me export the geodatabase to xml. Then create a new geodatabase and import that xml. The other tech support person had me do a "recover file geodatabase" tool. It won't recover annotation though so after you do the "recover" tool you'll have to import the annotation back into your new geodatabase.

We also are not using that computer anymore, and are using a new computer. So some or all of those things has helped. Thank goodness.

Good luck,
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
I've had a similar experience of lost data.  After spending 3 hours working on developing layers in a file geodatabase, I was stunned to see all the work not there the following day.  Given ArcGIS's record of instability and a lack of a decent recovery log, I save often, like every 2-3 edits often.  It amazes me that a product that is suppose to be so mature is at times so unreliable.
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: BrucePower

I continue to have this frustrating problem of working on an edit session, saving the edits often.  And then checking the data later to find that none of the saves (which never reported anything) actually didn't save anything.

Today I lost an hour's worth of metadata development.

The one thing I have noticed in these cases, ArcCatalog was open.  Even though I had not pointed to the data source in question, I wonder whether there is some conflict.  ESRI has got to address this fundamental problem.
Reply
0 Kudos