Locator Style to Include Apartments/Units

Jump to solution
05-20-2012 10:36 PM
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
Hi All,

I am brand new to geocoding, so apologies if this is ridiculously basic however I cannot work out how to configure the following.

I have a point database with individual fields for flat_number, flat_number_prefix, number_first, street_name etc, and when I use the US Address - Single Address locator style (despite me being in Australia), it works fine for addresses that are not part of a unit, apartment block etc, but not those within these.

This data, e.g. 'Unit' or 9A etc, are not listed in the candidate list, therefore the locator style must not accept them. Whether this is due to their alphanumeric nature, I am unsure. However I would've thought that there must be a default locator style, for a point database, that includes these additional required fields for apartment blocks?

I'm using ArcGIS 10 with no service packs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DK
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Nothing out of the box is supported but there may be something that might help you here:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/26362-Locator-Style-for-Apt-or-Units

Brad

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CFrate
by
Occasional Contributor
In your list of address locators to choose from, are there no options that specify "with units" in the title?
You could try looking for "US One Address with House Unit" or "US Address - Single House with Units". Perhaps these are no longer out-of-the-box at 10.
0 Kudos
KevinHighland
Occasional Contributor II
These aren't out of the box in 10.

If you have a "full address" field for your address layer that spells out the information for units and apartment blocks (ex: 335 Santa Fe Dr A), you can create a 'General - Single Field' locator around this field and it should work fine.
0 Kudos
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
These aren't out of the box in 10.

If you have a "full address" field for your address layer that spells out the information for units and apartment blocks (ex: 335 Santa Fe Dr A), you can create a 'General - Single Field' locator around this field and it should work fine.

My reference data in which I use to build the locator has seperate fields for all the individual address components, which I understood as the preferred method. Mu address table I am trying to geocode has all address components in a single field.

Is this the correct methodology?
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Nothing out of the box is supported but there may be something that might help you here:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/26362-Locator-Style-for-Apt-or-Units

Brad
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III
Perhaps these are no longer out-of-the-box at 10.

Please vote to have unit locators provided out of the box...
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=08730000000by67
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

This style now ships with the ArcGIS 10.3 release of the software.

Brad

0 Kudos