Line direction & road centerline layer?

06-04-2014 12:26 PM
DewaineHobby
New Contributor II
Ok its me again, I'm just getting started. ok I have a shp file with the centerlines of roads and the name of the roads.
when I go to edit then to to like change direction of the line it tell me no road centerline layer found how do I get
or make a road centerline layer from a shp file...   Thanks for any and all help..
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You need to have the road centerline selected in the table of content when you click on the change direction.
0 Kudos
DewaineHobby
New Contributor II
In the table of content there only two items, one the image of the county and the shp file named 911_centerlines
how do I turn the 911_centerline into a road centerline.lyr like I said Im new just learning..Thanks
0 Kudos
m_neer
by
Occasional Contributor
simply right click on the layer you want to edit in your table of contents (TOC) and under SELECTION select "Make this the only selectable layer" before you fire up an edit session.   Or, you can as the previous thread mentions (select the list by selection button) under the TOC and check the feature you want to make editable.  I've attached snapshots for you too.
0 Kudos
DewaineHobby
New Contributor II
Ok I did just as you said in the TOC then to edit mode then click on flip road and it still comes up the roadcenterline layers
were not found.
0 Kudos
m_neer
by
Occasional Contributor
Right click on the feature in your table of contents and open attribute table.  When the table opens up - are you seeing any/all records?  What is your software version your currenlty using.  Maybe more specifics would be helpful here.
0 Kudos
DewaineHobby
New Contributor II
I Right click on the feature in my table of contents and open attribute table. I see all the records, I attached a screen shot of the table
and I'm useing arcgis 10.2
0 Kudos
m_neer
by
Occasional Contributor
A couple of things to look at here.   1.) "permissions"- take out the middle man by copying the center line feature to your local hard drive and then try to edit.  (this is under the assumption your on a network edit session)

2.) "feature type" - take a harder look at what type of feature are you trying to edit/how are you trying to edit it?  From the snapshot I see the word polyline and that flags me as this being  from a CAD product somewhere along its lineage.  If it is in fact a shape file from a CAD drawing - it may have to do with how autoCAD is exporting out that shape file format?  ie,. meaning are there issues of it being a polyline versus a line format?  Try throwing your shape file into a File Geodatabase and see if you have the same issues?

3.) Run a Repair Geometry against the shape file "Check Geometry Tool" in toolbox will inspect each feature in a feature class for geometry problems.
0 Kudos