Layer not align, HELP!

06-05-2014 04:14 AM
TeikKeanTan
New Contributor
Hi,

I am new in ArcMap. I got a shapefile and a layer file.
I open it in ArcMap and try to align both layer. But both the layer didn't align properly.
Both coordinate system are the same.
Is anyone can help me on this? Greatly Appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
A shapefile needs at least 3 files (.shp, .dbf, .shx) to be readable. Your archive only includes the .shp file. Sending just a .lyr file doesn't include the data that it's referring to. The layer file does list an extent that looks like Malaysia, probably. The values look like decimal degrees. So that data should have a geographic coordinate system assigned to it. In Malaysia, that could be GDM2000 or an older GCS like Kertau.

If the shapefile isn't overlaying the layer file's data, it's probably in a projected coordinate system, possibly RSO.

Melita
0 Kudos
TeikKeanTan
New Contributor
Thanks for your reply.

I not sure what should i do next, Need your valuable help to assist further.

Thanks
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

If you want people to be able to look at your data, you have to include all the necessary files. The shapefile was missing its .shx and .dbf files, so it could not be opened.

Can you post the extents/coordinates of your shapefile? Plus the location that it should be in? (is it west coast Malaysia?) That may be enough for someone to figure out what its coordinate system is.

Melita
0 Kudos
TeikKeanTan
New Contributor
Thanks Melita.

I attached the related files.

I have change the coordinate system to GDM2000, but it still not working to me. =(

Appreaciated you guidance!
0 Kudos
TeikKeanTan
New Contributor
i was actually trying to plot multiple locations on google map, save it as kml, then convert it to layer, to be displayed in ArcMap, and then layer together with the earlier shapefile.
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

The pgis_outline data is in a projected coordinate system.

Extents:
minimum x = -18761
maximum x = 155
minimum y = -19586
maximum y = 6845

I tried GDBD2009 GEORSO, but that places the data in western Borneo, in Indonesia. GDM2000 MRSO puts it off west coast of Sumatra. GDM2000 Perak places it offshore, Western Peninsular Malaysia, so closer at least! GDM2000 Kedah and Perlis places it onshore, but in upper northwest peninsular Malaysia.

The way I'm doing this is adding the pgis_out shapefile to ArcMap. Then change the data frame's coordinate system to various possibilities (data frame property page, coordinate system tab, projected coordinate system, malaysia and singapore). If you have some base/reference data with a known coordinate system, that data will get projected to the new coordinate system. The data with no coordinate system will just be displayed. If you can get the two layers to overlay, then the data frame's coordinate system the one that the data with no coordinate system is using.

Melita
0 Kudos
TeikKeanTan
New Contributor
The shape of my map runs after i change the coordinate system.

I still didnt manage to get it done.. AH......
0 Kudos
TeikKeanTan
New Contributor
Do i missed out any steps?
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
I think the shapefile you have has a .prj file. Try renaming it, then repeating the steps. The data you uploaded didn't include a .prj file, so the shapefile that I was using had no coordinate system.

Whatever coordinate system is in that prj file isn't correct.

Melita
0 Kudos