KML (KMZ) files to Layer files

02-18-2015 01:56 PM
DerekBangs
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a project that is currently in a KMZ file wherein I have taken points with descriptions and attached photos to them.  When I load this project in ArcExplorer (or Google Earth) the project comes in without any problems.  Is there any way to import this over to Arcmap while maintaining the photos attached to each point as well as the attribute (description) data that I have taken at each point?

I have tried using the KML to layer file conversion tool but it drops the description data and the images that were attached to the points.

I am currently using ArcMap 10.2

Any help on this topic would be appreciated

Derek

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

How are the photos associated to the KML features?  Linked via online URL or with a local file path?  Is the link included in an attribute field of the KML to Shapefile output?

0 Kudos
DerekBangs
New Contributor

The project was conducted using Avenza.  One of the options in Avenza is link a photo to a placemark.  When I save and move the project out of Avenza to another program i.e. google earth or arcexplorer the pictures have been moving with the KML package.  I can open this project up on another machine without any issues.  Its just when I try and import it to ArcMap that it breaks.

0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

I have no experience with Avenza, but that is neither here nor there.

What attribute fields are carried over to your output data type (shapefile or FGDB)?  Is there an attribute field with the photo path defined?

0 Kudos
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

I am also trying to get photos from a kmz into a feature class. I would like to be able to set up a process to get these images/points published as a service so they can be shared. The data is being exported from a Trimble Product called Business Center.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos