Joining lines

03-21-2013 02:52 PM
Mohammad_ShafayatHossain
New Contributor
Hello guys,

I have a polyline shapefile with hundreds of line segments. It�??s actually a city street network. But as the shape file was created from CAD file, not all the lines are continues where they should be. For example, if you look at the attached Exhibit-1, between node 1 and node 2, there are 4 different line segments (I colored the lines so that it�??s easy to understand). But I want to make those lines a single continuous line. That is, there should be only one connecting line segment between any two nodes/ intersections. Is there any way to do that? Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Shafayat
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola Shafayat,

I wanted to let you know, that I have put together a work flow with some screen shots and documentation. This document will cover how to Merge multiple segmented lines which are not connected, into one line. I am then including some suggestions, on your second part, where to remove the extra vertices, and then only have the beginning and ending vertices.

Gracias, Shafayat!
0 Kudos
Mohammad_ShafayatHossain
New Contributor
Hola Shafayat,

I wanted to let you know, that I have put together a work flow with some screen shots and documentation. This document will cover how to Merge multiple segmented lines which are not connected, into one line. I am then including some suggestions, on your second part, where to remove the extra vertices, and then only have the beginning and ending vertices.

Gracias, Shafayat!

Thanks for your reply Juan. I am wondering if there is other way of doing this. Manualy selecting lines would take me hundreds of hours as I have thousands of line segments and nodes.
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
As Juan mentioned at the bottom of his documents, the Dissolve tool will automatically join all of you streets based upon a field.
0 Kudos
Mohammad_ShafayatHossain
New Contributor
Thank you very much Juan and Thales...I was able to do what I wanted to do...

First I dissolve the entire shapefile, it combined all the lines and returned one polyline.

Then I used Feature to Line tool, it splited lines at points where two or more lines intersect 🙂
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola Shafayat,

We are happy to assist in your inquiry on this item, and that it all worked for you as you wanted.

Gracias Shafayat!
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
If all lines already end where they intersect, as your image shows, you can unsplit lines between intersections/node in one process, either using Dissolve with the Unsplit Line option and uncheck "create multipart" or better using Unsplit Line tool (new in arcGIS 10).
0 Kudos