Issues in accessing CSV table data

1987
2
Jump to solution
09-10-2014 10:20 PM
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Hi - I'm having issues in getting ArcGIS to read a CSV file as a table.

The table is created as the output from a Python script I have written - partly because it provides a bit of flexibility in being able to view the table in Excel or similar, and partly because creating a table or features from Python using a cursor confuses me.

Anyway...

* The csv table contains XREF and YREF fields

* The csv file creates fine.

* The *first* time I add the table to an ArcGIS project, I can view all fields and attributes, create an XY event, and visualise the data

* Any *subsequent* times I add the data, some of the fields are not viewable (including the XREF field) and thus I can't create an XY event or view the data.

Any ideas as to why this could be occurring?

Thanks

Tags (2)
Reply
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

OK, I think I've answered my own question.

There's something funny going on with schema.ini in that a couple of fields get recreated. There must be a special character tripping it out somewhere.

Anyway, if I delete schema.ini, the problem goes away, at least until it appears again.

I suspect the long term fix will be to modify my script to create a FC and points rather than write a CSV and rely on then manually creating the XY event layer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

OK, I think I've answered my own question.

There's something funny going on with schema.ini in that a couple of fields get recreated. There must be a special character tripping it out somewhere.

Anyway, if I delete schema.ini, the problem goes away, at least until it appears again.

I suspect the long term fix will be to modify my script to create a FC and points rather than write a CSV and rely on then manually creating the XY event layer.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Nathan Duncan​ the schema.ini file rears its ugly head again!

Reply
0 Kudos