Is it possible to change a the path of a dynamic hyperlinks?

07-17-2016 10:39 PM
DanielRodriguez
New Contributor

Is it possible to change the path of dynamic hyperlinks?

I hyperlink a shapefile with 100 polygons with each polygon contain 2 or more hyperlink per polygon to pdfs using the dynamic hyperlink through the identity tool.

I moved the folder containing the pdfs that were used to hyperlink  to our network so the mxd containing the shapefile file would view by other people.

My question is it possible to update path to the network containing the pdf folder in your mxd file?

I guess the Hyperlink base under the Map Document Properties will not change the path to the pdf folder?

Thanks

Daniel

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

here Using Hyperlinks—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop suggests that a geodatabase might be the solution since there are limitations using a shapefile

from help ... The Hyperlink Base setting has no effect on dynamic hyperlinks.

and if editing is done ... To ensure hyperlinks are always associated with the proper features, only use dynamic hyperlinks with geodatabase features classes (geodatabase features always have unique ID values). Field-based hyperlinks can be used with shapefiles without this limitation.

DanielRodriguez
New Contributor

Hello Dan,

The person sent me the mxd file and the shapefile used for the dynamic hyperlink but when I click on the shapefile it is looking for the path where the pdfs where linked on the person desktop.

Is it possible to can change the path for the pdfs in the MXD file? The pdfs path is located on their desktop is different where I am storing the pdfs.

Is it possible to edit the mxd file or somehow change the dynamic hyperlinks path without redoing the dynamic Hyperlinks for every shapefile?

Do I need to import the shapefile into a geodatabase and redo the Dynamic Hyperlinks all over again? I have over 1000 pdfs that need to be re hyperlink.

Thanks

Daniel Rodriguez

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Have you considered using attachments instead of hyperlinked files?

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
DanielRodriguez
New Contributor

I don't have a standard license.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I assume that relative paths was already set... but I would check in any event,

Setting map document properties—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

but somehow, I doubt that will fix the relative path issue

0 Kudos
DanielRodriguez
New Contributor

Hello Dan,

I was reading if you change the relative path in the map document it will not effect the Dynamic Hyperlink path.

There has to be way of changing Dynamic Hyperlink path when the mxd and shapefiles are email to another person who does not always have the same path on their desktop.

I would think other people have encountered this problem before?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is why field-based hyperlinks and other forms are better than dynamic.  I have had that issue with student projects in the past

0 Kudos
DanielRodriguez
New Contributor

Is there a solution besides redoing the hyperlinks again?

I would think there would a way of fixing this problem (reactivate Dynamic Hyperlink path)  if not ESRI should remove this from ArcMap.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the reason dynamic hyperlinks exist is to provide the capability to hyperlink to more than one thing without going through coding hoops, and I am sure they are designed with stability in the deployment environment in mind.  If you are just hyperlinking to map layers with arcmap you won't have any problems but hardcoded paths to files residing on a computer will require a replication of the path which isn't a problem if it is something like c:\mystuff_bob since the chance of that path already being in existence is pretty slim unless you are sending stuff to bob, who might have that folder.  The problem arises when people don't work in a unique replicable folder (ie one that can be copied to another machine).  Even distribution to a dvd is sketchy since you have to match the dvd drive to another path.  So sorry, I stopped trying to find a situation where dynamic hyperlinks could be fixed.  If the path can't be replicated, then that is an issue.  Another reason I have the c:\users\user\blah blah folders as a repository for everything done by an individual

0 Kudos