Is it necessary to install the �??Microsoft SQL server�?� before installing the �??ArcSDE�?�?

01-06-2013 07:53 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Is it necessary to install the �??Microsoft SQL server�?� before installing the �??ArcSDE�?�?

I�??m wondering if it is a compulsory to install the Microsoft SQL server before installing the �??ArcSDE�?�.

Thank you for the answer

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
9 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Yes.  Enterprise ArcSDE isn't a database, it's an application server that lives in a database.
You must always install and preconfigure the host RDBMS before Enterprise ArcSDE.

- V
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Yes.  Enterprise ArcSDE isn't a database, it's an application server that lives in a database.
You must always install and preconfigure the host RDBMS before Enterprise ArcSDE.

- V

Thank you for the answer,

Is this the same for Oracle?

Do we need to install the database in �??server side�?� and �??client side�?�?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20487[/ATTACH]

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Like SQL*Server, you will want to install the database first.

If you use the SDE Direct Connect model, which is what ESRI recommends, then you have to install Oracle client software on the client machines (any machine which uses SDE).

In the case of ArcMap you have to install the 32 bit client because ArcMap is 32 bit.  In the case of ArcGIS Server you have to install the 64 bit client because ArcGIS Server is 64 bit.

The easiest way to do this is to install the Oracle Instant Client which is available via Oracle or via the ESRI Customer Care  Portal in the downloads section (see attachment).  You can also install the full Oracle Client as well.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Like SQL*Server, you will want to install the database first.

If you use the SDE Direct Connect model, which is what ESRI recommends, then you have to install Oracle client software on the client machines (any machine which uses SDE).

In the case of ArcMap you have to install the 32 bit client because ArcMap is 32 bit.  In the case of ArcGIS Server you have to install the 64 bit client because ArcGIS Server is 64 bit.

The easiest way to do this is to install the Oracle Instant Client which is available via Oracle or via the ESRI Customer Care  Portal in the downloads section (see attachment).  You can also install the full Oracle Client as well.

Many thanks Richard for the very useful answer.

I managed to download the �??instantclient-basic-nt-11.2.0.3.0�?� but couldn�??t find any file to download it. Please, have a look on the screenshots below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20515[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20516[/ATTACH]

How this software can be installed?

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Here are my instructions for the installing the instant client from the ESRI download.  In these I assume that you want both the 32 bit and 64 bit clients.  Adjust as needed.

Double-Click OracleDatabaseInstantClient_101_130029.exe

You will be prompted for a location to unzip the files.  Change to root drive (C:) and click OK.

Navigate to C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient.  Notice there is a Windows32 and a Windows64 directory.

For both directories:
   Navigate to the directory to find a zip file. 
   Unzip the contents of the zip file into the same directory.
   If you are using 7 Zip then just unzip here.
   If you are using the built-in Windows unzip utility then you must edit the proposed directory.
      You should have the following folders:
      - C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient\Windows64\instantclient_11_2
      - C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient\Windows32\instantclient_11_2

Edit the system PATH environment variable.  Add the path to each client folder to the end of the path.  For example:
      C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient\Windows64\instantclient_11_2;C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient\Windows32\instantclient_11_2
      Order is important.  Notice the 64 bit client is first in the path.

If you want to use TNSNAMES then you can configure the system TNS_ADMIN environment variable to point to a directory which has the file tnsnames.ora in it.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Here are my instructions for the installing the instant client from the ESRI download.  In these I assume that you want both the 32 bit and 64 bit clients.  Adjust as needed.

Double-Click OracleDatabaseInstantClient_101_130029.exe

You will be prompted for a location to unzip the files.  Change to root drive (C:) and click OK.

Navigate to C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient.  Notice there is a Windows32 and a Windows64 directory.

For both directories:
   Navigate to the directory to find a zip file. 
   Unzip the contents of the zip file into the same directory.
   If you are using 7 Zip then just unzip here.
   If you are using the built-in Windows unzip utility then you must edit the proposed directory.
      You should have the following folders:
      - C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient\Windows64\instantclient_11_2
      - C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient\Windows32\instantclient_11_2

Edit the system PATH environment variable.  Add the path to each client folder to the end of the path.  For example:
      C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient\Windows64\instantclient_11_2;C:\OracleDatabaseInstantClient\Windows32\instantclient_11_2
      Order is important.  Notice the 64 bit client is first in the path.

If you want to use TNSNAMES then you can configure the system TNS_ADMIN environment variable to point to a directory which has the file tnsnames.ora in it.

Thank you so much Richard for the effort and elaboration.

Just I wanted to know if the ESRI downloads (oracle) are open for all. If so, could you please provide the link?

As soon as I got the software, I�??ll be following your valuable instructions and see if it works with me

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Here is the link:

https://customers.esri.com

I can't comment on how customers gain access to this. 

In my case, I ask the primary ESRI contact at my company to grant me access.
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Jamal,

It looks like you already downloaded and unzipped the oracle instant client. It doesn't have to be downloaded from the customers.esri.com site. It just needs to be 11.2.0.2 or 11.2.0.3 (32 or 64-bit depending on what you need). As Richard mentions, you can just put the path to the location you unzipped it to in the environment path and it should work.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Here is the link:

https://customers.esri.com

I can't comment on how customers gain access to this. 

In my case, I ask the primary ESRI contact at my company to grant me access.

Many thanks Richard  and Fojo for the help,

An instructor provided me an approach in order to get the Oracle database successfully installed and configured in both server side/ client side (in my case they are the same as I�??m working in the same machine-laptop)

I�??m attaching the approach along with my inquiries. Could you please have a look (as your time permits) and feed me back

Mainly I have the following issues:

1. The green message I got while �??create enterprise geodatabase�?�
(the st-geometry shape library path may be invalid�?�.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20567[/ATTACH]

2. The role of the �??isnantclient�?� in storing the data

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20568[/ATTACH]

3. The uninstalling the oracle database (is that possible? The oracle doesn�??t appear in the add/remove programs!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20569[/ATTACH]

Very much appreciated

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos