Irregular shaped buffer.

05-15-2017 02:27 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor

I need to buffer a point feature to an irregular shape. The buffer needs to be 20m x 80m x 80m x 100m from a center point. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The easiest way to do this is in arcpy using the Geometry object. You can create a feature class, create a bunch of geometries, and copy them into the feature class using Copy Features.

Using geometry objects with geoprocessing tools—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

Highlighted
MVP Regular Contributor

I agree that https://community.esri.com/community/developers/gis-developers/python would probably be your best bet here. Are there any rules about the orientation of this irregular shape?

Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

also, where is the 'centre-ish' feature with respect to the dimensions and as Blake indicated, its orientation?

Just thought it might be easier to produce the shape, place it about a 'central' point, then translate and rotate the resultant into its final position.

Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dan, I like this idea - create the buffer about 0,0 and then write and use a little function to copy the template buffer poly and shift/rotate the xys into place for each point. 

If you need code to rotate XYs there is a function of mine in this thread. The code also has code to use the function to rotate a polygon. Not as easy as one would hope. bixb0012 is on to something with his idea !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Please add a graphic describing your goal.  If it looks like this GIS StackExchange post, then there's already  an answer.

Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Vince mentioned ellipses over there.... table to ellipse ... once made a little shuffle and ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Perhaps this can be done using CAD blocks/cells

0 Kudos