Input satellite image from google earth to arcmap

10-07-2010 12:01 AM
abrarhabib
New Contributor
how do i input a satellite image from google earth into arcmap (arceditor) so that arcmap understands the location of this image?

i need this image so that later on i can do some editing to locate some points on the map.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
I used to have to do this...you could cut and paste a raster image of the Google Earth data by print screen or whatever you like. But, have you tried using the Bing Maps layer provided by ESRI this would make it much easier as you have imagery just as good as Google Earth within the ArcMap interface...

Otherwise if you have been making KMZ files in Google Earth have you had a look at importing them into ArcGIS (I am not sure if you can).

Hope this helps...

Simon Kettle
www.cambridgecarbonates.com
0 Kudos
JurieSnyman
New Contributor
Where can I find that bing map layer? Does is cover South Africa? i.t.o. the google images: Mapwindow GIS is open source freeware with a nice little plugin to import a screenshot of GE together with the projection.it's called shape2earth. only con is it's restricted to your screen resolution.

plz let me know if you find a tool that can import high quality images
0 Kudos
CynthiaLane
New Contributor
Hi,
I am interesting in the Bing map layer you mention as a way to get a base map into ARCGIS. How can I access this function?

Thanks,
Lane
0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Hi,
I am interesting in the Bing map layer you mention as a way to get a base map into ARCGIS. How can I access this function?

Thanks,
Lane

I do apologise for the very tardy responce...I didn't recieve the email saying you had replied to this feed. Apologies. If your running Arc9.3 have to register (this only takes a short time) see: http://forums.arcgis.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=77613&ESRISessionID=atYEzjfPCWvzX7roO_IC1_L0dK-2...

With ArcGIS10 the Bing maps layers are included in the add base map function which is part of the add data button on the toolbar within ArcMap.

I hope this helps...again apologies for the very late reply.
0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Additionally you could download GoogleEarth Pro which I think is relatively expensive where you can import and export shapefiles between the two programmes but I am not sure of imagery.

However being able to export your shapefiles into kmz/kml file format means you can overlay this on imagery.

I would also point out that within ArcGIS Toolbox (using ArcGIS10) there is a conversion tool to KML (which opens in Google) look for Conversion Tools>To KML and pick your tool (this has also worked for me in the past).

Hope this all helps.
0 Kudos
junaedykurniawan
New Contributor
how to Input satellite image from google earth to arcmap

Thanks,
Lane
0 Kudos
AnilReddy
New Contributor
dear friends

i am having a tool,with that its possibly to download the Google earth images with lat long values. i downloaded 350 sqm area images with high quality.
0 Kudos
FranzLeonardo
Occasional Contributor
You can check this link: Synchronize ArcMap with Google Earth.

http://en.acolita.com/synchronize-arcgis-arcmap-10-with-google-earth.html

0 Kudos