Importing CAD line styles into ArcGIS

03-07-2011 11:44 AM
DavidDesmond
New Contributor II
Does anybody have a reference on how to import line styles from AutoCAD into ArcGIS?

The line styles I am working with have been converted into a LIN file. ArcGIS is not recognizing this file. I was hoping somebody would know how to convert this file into a format that the Style Manager can recognize. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidDesmond
New Contributor II
In case anybody else comes across this problem here is the answer I received from 'ask a cartographer':

Mapping Center Answer:

It is a little confusing that the file extensions are the same for a CAD line style and for what used to be the case in Workstation ArcInfo, this being the .LIN extension. However, the two are are not the same, nor is the type of file that works with the Style Manager in the current desktop ArtcGIS.

You can either create brand new line styles within ArcGIS, or you can use the ESRI-CAD.style included in the software as a starting point. If you want to start with the Esri-CAD then customize the line symbols, you will need to create a new style and then copy all the ones you want to use from ESRI-CAD.style symbols into your new style. Then you will be able to edit them (this is new in 10 becasue you are no longer able to directly edit the styles we ship with the softare -- it's a good protection mechanism!)
0 Kudos