Importing AutoCad data

10-28-2014 10:09 AM
RoxanneWilson
New Contributor III

I've received  AutoCAD data for multiple projects.  Usually I can add the data and begin creating GIS features.  However, recently when I add the data, the files (point, polyline, etc...) are importing with empty attribute tables.  My AutoCAD software knowledge is very limited.  But when I open the dwg or dxf files in the software, all the linework displays correctly.  Any suggestions on how make the linework visible in AutoCAD display in ArcMap?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any chance the CAD files you are receiving are from a newer CAD software version?  I seem to recall having some trouble getting CAD files into ArcMap every time Autodesk puts out a software update.  Usually ESRI software catches up fairly quickly (patches, etc.), but for a while a couple of years ago, I had to save the CAD as an older file format in order to get it to load properly. Shot in the dark, but it might help 🙂

0 Kudos
RoxanneWilson
New Contributor III

I was wondering that as well.  Is there any way to tell what version was used to create the file from the developer?  When I add the file into AutoCAD (I have AutoCAD Lt 2013), I've tried exporting with an earlier software version, but as of yet, no luck.  Again, though, my AutoCAD is basically I can open the file and that's about it.  So there very well could be settings that I would be missing that need to be changed to make compatible.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't have AutoCAD, but I just checked a CAD file in ArcCatalog and it gave me a version number.  In Catalog, right click on the CAD and choose Properties.  On the Details tab it lists the version.  I'm not sure how the number there matches up with actual AutoCAD release numbers, though.  I used to use the free CAD data viewer program that AutoCAD gave out on their website (don't know if it's still available) and I could back-convert the files if I needed to. 

My limited experience with CAD is to add the files to ArcMap, georeference them, and then map the tax parcels, so I'm afraid I'm not a lot of help here.

The only other thing I can think to try is to view the CAD file in Arc Catalog, switch to the Preview tab, set it to Table view, and see if it displays the attributes there.

0 Kudos
RoxanneWilson
New Contributor III

Tried looking for the version number as you suggested, but the version is blank. 😕  I also tried previewing both the geography and table for the dwg files in ArcCatalog and nothing shows up there as well.

I've seen a few posts with Esri users describing similar issues.  Some, exporting to an older CAD file works (it did not in my case).  Others never post a correct 'universal' type answer.

I appreciate your advice, though!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not sure if you ever resolved this, but we just had two computers exhibit the same behavior that you were seeing when adding CAD files.  The files were good/had data because I used them on my machine, but two other users saw empty tables and such.  We are still on 10.1, so I had them install the CAD patch from here:  ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 for Desktop support for AutoCAD version 2013 Patch | Samples and Utilities  and after they installed it, the CAD files read properly.  Hope this helps...

MarkJennings
New Contributor II

Did you find a Solution to this Problem?

0 Kudos