I have an excel spreadsheet that I am trying to create points for. When I open the Excel file in Arc the field for my addresses are blank but the other information is there. When I open the Excel file in Excel the addresses are there. any clues??

670
9
Jump to solution
04-24-2017 01:03 PM
deleted-user-H5fOIIIy3n7c
New Contributor

in ArcCatalogue

in Excel

Why is it not showing in ArcCatalogue??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if Location is a reserved word or not: try renaming that column to Address and see what happens...

can't wait to retire....

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

skip catalog and try Excel to Table what does it do?

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I would try saving a csv out of excel (if you don't have commas in your data) -- save as in excel. Then try using that csv as the input to arc.

JoeBorgione
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if Location is a reserved word or not: try renaming that column to Address and see what happens...

can't wait to retire....

View solution in original post

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Joe... FYI, at least in 10.5

  • These field names may be renamed during the validation process to prevent any errors or duplicate names

0 Kudos
deleted-user-H5fOIIIy3n7c
New Contributor

Wow!! I changed it and the information showed! Thank you! Such a simple word and can cause such chaos!! 

Thanks!! 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes a guy get's lucky...

can't wait to retire....
0 Kudos
SarojThapa1
Occasional Contributor III

Make sure your field names follow the convention of geodatabase. I think you have a space in front of the field names in excel. Try no spacing in front of the field names. Also, follow the convention of geodatabase when loading the data from excel. For example, Field Name would be Field_Name, no reserved words, no spacing in front of the field name and in between two words in the field name. 

0 Kudos
DuaneTreadon
Occasional Contributor

Glad the solution worked.  The space issue seems to have been what the hang up was in my testing.  I created a simple table using the same headings that you used and all columns, including "Location", populated in ArcMap.  After reading the suggestion on removing a space I went back and added a space in front of "Location".  Wen added to ArcMap the column populated with null value. 

0 Kudos
TobyAskins
New Contributor II

You have dislike fields, being one is text and one is numerical.  Once all fields are set using cell formatting in excel to match attribute table (right click on each attribute field to see if it's "long" "short" "string" ect. and that will clue you in as to how it should be aptly set up in excel) join the table, but try using the "zone" field as that seems to be a field that joined originally without issue.  "What" field isn't unique enough for a one to one match. 

0 Kudos