How to update a mosaic dataset?

04-17-2012 07:38 AM
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Hi, friend,

Some helps needed on the new raster data model: Mosaic Dataset.

Once a Mosaic Dataset is completely finished, including adding data, generating footprint, defining overview, building overview, how to update this existing mosaic dataset with some new raster tiles in some areas?

The reason I am asking is that it takes too long time (days) to build the overviews. What is the best practice to update one existing mosaic data?

After I added some updated raster tiles into an existing mosaic dataset, I need to rebuild overview. Can I specify the interested extent/region instead of rebuilding overview for the whole mosaic dataset?

Or what will be the best solution?

Any help will be more than welcomed.

Many thanks,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
I would look into using the Synchronize Mosaic Dataset tool.

Patrick
0 Kudos
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
There are two options.
1. Add your new raster dataset to the mosiac dataset. Then run the Build Overviews tool with the Define missing overviews checked and the generate options checked.
As described in Mosaic dataset overviews:
[INDENT]The option to define missing overview tiles is useful when you've made many modifications to your mosaic dataset, involving adding or removing rasters or changing their footprints. This option will assess the mosaic dataset to determine if enough overviews have been defined or if new data was added without defining additional overviews, thereby allowing you to generate a complete set of overviews for your mosaic dataset.[/INDENT]

2. Use the Synchronize Mosaic Dataset tool, as mentioned earlier, to either both add the new data and update the overviews, or just update the overviews.

In both cases, only the overviews that need to be updated will be built. It will not rebuild every single overview.
Also, not that it's needed in this case, but you can use the Define Overviews tool to define only the area where you want overviews built, then run the Build Overviews tool--but I don't recommend that as a solution in this case.
0 Kudos