How to run multiple SDE services/intances?

07-05-2010 03:32 AM
VaL
by
New Contributor III
Hi all
could someone point me to the direction of this article on how to run multiple SDE service.
What I need to do is to have 3 Oracle 10g database and to have 3 SDE instances, each pointing to separate oracle DB.
Running 9.3.1 SDE 64bit/Oracle 10g 64 on win2008.
Any advice welcome.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
A search in the upper bar (of arcgis.com, not just forums) on "multiple ArcSDE services"
pulled up at least half a dozen likely links in the first page (of 1100+ matches). If you
remember to use the proper product name, the search engine should be reliable.

Keep in mind that you're likely to run into the non-interactive desktop heap limitation
on Windows hosts if you run more than 66-70 total application server clients across
the three instances.

- V
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hey

I think this link will help you: http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=35522

Have Fun
Mody
0 Kudos
VaL
by
New Contributor III
Hi all
this is now done. I created 3 services and 3 oracl DBs.
I have populated one DB with some data. The other 2 are empty.
Here is the problem.
I deleted all 3 services and recreated them.All went OK
Now if I try to connect to an empty DB it connects OK.
But for the populated DB it just hangs - never connects and shows the data.
All 3 sde services are running OK.
Any ideas?
Thanks
0 Kudos
VaL
by
New Contributor III
Hi all
all the questions above are now solved.
I have created 4 ODBs and SDE services using this method exactly:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Using_multiple_geodatabases_in_Oracle

The 4 DBs are now populated with data.

Normally they work fine. This is until I restart the PC. And I started getting an 'bad user' error message when tried to connect to either SDE service from catalog.

I noticed the following:

I have copies of the dbinit.sde file:

the original dbinit.sde
dbinit_chevdb.sde
dbinit_enidb.sde
dbinit_geology.sde

each of them is pointing to a different ODB.
My default DB is callled orclsde and this is what must be set in the the original dbinit.sde. But now it has changed to the database that is pointed to by dbinit_geology.sde. This made all SDE services useless.

If I delete all SDE service and recreate them again using postinstall's last step 'create SDE service'  they all work fine until next restart. Using only the last step in the post install DOESNT use customized dbinit.sde. It uses the DB name though.

Any ideas why it does this? How can I have stable 4 instances of SDE.
0 Kudos
VaL
by
New Contributor III
Hello,
Anyone, any ideas.
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Vasil,

I would try deleting and recreating the sde services using the sdeservice command instead of the gui post installer. See if that makes any difference.
0 Kudos
CherylCleghorn
Esri Contributor
You can try creating another db_init called dbinit_orclsde.sde and set the ORACLE_SID accordingly.
0 Kudos
NatCarter
New Contributor III
Hi all
all the questions above are now solved.
I have created 4 ODBs and SDE services using this method exactly:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Using_multiple_geodatabases_in_Oracle

The 4 DBs are now populated with data.

Normally they work fine. This is until I restart the PC. And I started getting an 'bad user' error message when tried to connect to either SDE service from catalog.

I noticed the following:

I have copies of the dbinit.sde file:

the original dbinit.sde
dbinit_chevdb.sde
dbinit_enidb.sde
dbinit_geology.sde

each of them is pointing to a different ODB.
My default DB is callled orclsde and this is what must be set in the the original dbinit.sde. But now it has changed to the database that is pointed to by dbinit_geology.sde. This made all SDE services useless.

If I delete all SDE service and recreate them again using postinstall's last step 'create SDE service'  they all work fine until next restart. Using only the last step in the post install DOESNT use customized dbinit.sde. It uses the DB name though.

Any ideas why it does this? How can I have stable 4 instances of SDE.

I have run into the same issues when connecting via SDE services to my 3 databases.  Followed same protocol and instructions as you and ended up with same results as you.  Any updates on how to keep the SDE Services in tact after restart???

It looks like after a restart all SDE Services look for the entry in the default "dbinit.sde" file and ignore the custom ones defined when they are initially created.  If you manually change the Oracle_SID entry in the dbinit.sde file to the right SID before starting the cooresponding SDE service...the SDE Service performs correctly like it did when you initially created it using the custom dbinit file for each SDE Service.

Do I need to write my own batch job that runs at start up to control this or is there an ESRI fix??
0 Kudos
NatCarter
New Contributor III
As the ESRI documentation of using one SDEHOME and creating unique dbinit.sde files for each instance only works for initial creation, and not one the service is restarted, one solution is to create a separate SDEHOME for each instance.

1. Create a named folder on your C drive for each instance; maybe even the same name as the instance to help keep track of everything.  In my case I created 3 new folders C:\DEQGPRD, C:\DEQGPUB, C:\DEQGFLD for my 3 instances.
2. Go to the current installation of ArcSDE and copy and paste the entire thing into each folder.
3. Update the service and dbinit files within each new "home" to reference just the one service they will manage.
4. Be sure to update the windows\sys32\drivers\etc\service file with any changes to the service names.
5.  Do not run the ArcSDE Post Installation wizard but instead use the sdeservice commands to set up the services for each separate SDEHOME.  See http://help.arcgis.com/en/geodatabase/10.0/admin_cmds/Support_files/serveradmin/sdeservice.htm#xregi... for help with the sdeservice command parameters.

When I restarted the services manually or the rebooted the server all SDE services remained in tact the way they were set up.
0 Kudos