Select to view content in your preferred language

How to rename the field title in a legend?

a month ago
SamKiessling
New Contributor

I am trying to rename the POP10_SQMI field name to just Person/ sq mi and I am stuck.   Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 12.40.40 PM.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesCarroll7
New Contributor II

There's a chance you won't be able to change the field name in the attribute table as it may be greyed out. There are two possible options in that scenario:

1. Open the attribute table and go to the Fields View section. Here you can give the layer an alias and name it to whatever you want, which should then show up instead of the name that you can't change.

2. Create a new field in the attribute table and give it the new name. You can then use the Calculate Field tool to copy the information from the POP10_SQMI field to the new column.

There might be easier ways to do this but that's just how I would do it (I don't need to do it too often luckily). Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It appears as if you can set that in the Symbology tab (which will also change it in the legend):

RhettZufelt_0-1716928875523.png

R_

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@RhettZufelt .assuming he's either working with a raster or a map image service or similar, in which case he won't get feature-based symbology options like youre showing above, 

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@SamKiessling if you don't want to manipulate the data/attribute table, simply put the layer into a group layer, then you can change the layer name to match your preferred field alias, then give the group name your preferred legend layer name. I'm assuming this is a raster, so you can't change the heading unfortunately . This would be a workaround that doesn't change the data.

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos