How to plot XY Coordinates in arcmap overlaid on a base map (satellite imagery)

06-13-2017 01:19 PM
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Hi,

My client sent me an excel file with XY data not in Lat Long format, but in XY Coordinates (e.g. x= 1705962, y = 12257736) and wants me to plot it in the arcmap with satellite imagery as basemap. How could I work on it?

I imported this Excel file to ArcMap by using File --> Add Data --> Add XY Data and then specify the XY fields. However, I don't know the Coordinate system. It did plot my data in the arcMap, but it is not matched with the Basemap.

I tried to use Define Projection to set up a Projected Coordinate System to it, but I don't know which one I need to use. I tried UTM or NAD 1983 in Projected Coordinate Systems but the result doesn't match with the basemap.

What should I do to plot the data in the Excel file overlaid with the basemap? Should I ask my client which Coordinate System they are using for the XY Coordinate?

I would really appreciate your help!

Shuhong

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

I think you said the answer.

Should I ask my client which Coordinate System they are using for the XY Coordinate?

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you attach a sample of the excel sheet (a few rows)? Which area do the points belong to?

Think Location
0 Kudos
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Hi, I asked my clients for the Coordinate systems they use to collect the data and then the problem solved.

Thank you!