Select to view content in your preferred language

How to orthorectify images to a specific raster

04-03-2012 01:30 PM
grahamlangley-edwards
Emerging Contributor
Hi, I have been tasked with orthorectifying several LandSat TM 5 satellite images to the most recent of those images.  I was simply told to rectify all the images to the latest and highest quality image.  However, I don't see how to do this in ArcGIS 10.  I know you can orthorectify images through the Image Analysis window, or through the Create Ortho Corrected Raster Dataset tool, but I don't see how to orthorectify to a specific image using these tools.  Obviously I don't have much experience with this.  I tried simply orthorectifying one image through the Create Ortho Corrected...tool, but it came back with error 000425.  Also the orthorectify button in the Image Analysis window is greyed out so I can't even try it through there.  The images are from the USGS GLOVIS site and are 30m LandSat images.  More info on images:

Number of bands - 7
Format - .tif
Source type - Continuous
Pixel type - unsigned integer
Pixel depth - 8 bit

Not sure if they have RPC values, how does one find that out by the way?

I selected .tif for the output when I tried to orthorectify the single image with the Create Ortho...tool. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GayathriAlallasundaram
Deactivated User
Hi,

Please refer to these links about orthorectification,

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/displayed_in_ArcMap/009t000000mt000000...

in the first link it says the "If the raster dataset has RPCs, the Orthorectification using elevation options is active."

The Image Analysis window needs rasters with RPC's and DEM for the ortho rectify button to become active. Refer to the document below,

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//009t000000mv000000

-Gayu

-Gayu
GayathriAlallasundaram
Deactivated User
Hi,

All the below three methods requires RPC's(rational polynomial coefficients), in your case you got an error running the tool because the rasters may not be having RPC's , in most cases when you go to windows explorer where the raster is stored the raster has a rpc.txt file along with the other raster files. The best way to find out whether the raster has a RPC or not is, add it to ArcMap > right click the raster in the table of contents > Properties > Display tab> if the orthorectification is grayed out there then the raster does not have RPC if it is enabled then it means the raster has an RPC.  So to perform an orthorectification it is necessary to have a raster with RPC as well as a DEM or a constant elevation value.
1. Using Create Ortho Corrected Raster Dataset GP tool

2. ArcMap option

3. Image Analysis Window

-Gayu
CecilHope
New Contributor
Hi, 

All the below three methods requires RPC's(rational polynomial coefficients), in your case you got an error running the tool because the rasters may not be having RPC's , in most cases when you go to windows explorer where the raster is stored the raster has a rpc.txt file along with the other raster files. The best way to find out whether the raster has a RPC or not is, add it to ArcMap > right click the raster in the table of contents > Properties > Display tab> if the orthorectification is grayed out there then the raster does not have RPC if it is enabled then it means the raster has an RPC. So to perform an orthorectification it is necessary to have a raster with RPC as well as a DEM or a constant elevation value. 
1. Using   Create Ortho Corrected Raster Dataset GP tool 

2.   ArcMap option

3.   Image Analysis Window

-Gayu

Thank you for your explanation. Now, I know how to orthorectify images to a specific raster.

Image Processing
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

There is also the ability to use a mosaic dataset so that you can process multiple scenes. Since you say that you have multiple, then I would consider this. The process is similar to the Image Analysis Window, but you can apply the functions to multiple scenes.  Depending on your DEM you are using to orthorectify, you may consider creating a mosaic of the DEMs prior to this, but otherwise it should work fine. 

Check out this link for the tutorial to orthorectify with the mosaic dataset.

0 Kudos